Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   2003 Galant turns but won't start (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/2003-galant-turns-but-wont-start-38837/)

Daron1245 03-11-2011 03:14 PM

2003 Galant turns but won't start

Hey I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES. I was driving one day and the car shut off so I pulled on the other side of the road. The engine turns over but it wont start. The fuel pump and timing belt is fine. I noticed my spark plugs were covered in oil and i was a little low on oil and coolant. The weird thing is I recently put coolant in, and the oil was alot lower than it should've been. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated thanks.

Sebba 03-11-2011 09:07 PM

Any check engine lights? Are you SURE the timing is correct?

You need to check if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and also check for spark. Both are easily achieved.

Just remove a spark plug, attach it to the spark plug wire, and have someone watch it while cranking the engine.

If you know you have spark, you're more than likely not getting fuel. You can remove the fuel line at the rail to check for pressure. Simply turn the key to prime, and check for fuel shooting out.

Daron1245 03-12-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba (Post 270140)
Any check engine lights? Are you SURE the timing is correct?

You need to check if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and also check for spark. Both are easily achieved.

Just remove a spark plug, attach it to the spark plug wire, and have someone watch it while cranking the engine.

If you know you have spark, you're more than likely not getting fuel. You can remove the fuel line at the rail to check for pressure. Simply turn the key to prime, and check for fuel shooting out.

Yes it was a light on, but it wasnt showing any codes at the shop. My spark plugs had some oil on which is not good, but I dont think its the problem here. Where is the fuel rail? I'm not too good with foreign cars. And I the timing belt looked in tact. How do I check to adjust the timing? Thanks for the help

Sebba 03-12-2011 06:38 PM

In order to properly diagnose the vehicles condition you must first know exactly what you're looking at.

If I may suggest calling an automotive savvy friend to assist you.

Timing belts can jump teeth and look perfect from the outside. Do NOT try and start the car any more without making sure that hasn't happened. You could be doing damage to the engine with each revolution.

Daron1245 03-14-2011 08:57 PM

Yeah, it was the timimg belt. It wasn't completely broken, but worn out. Do you thing my valves will be ok since it didn't completely break?

the kid 11-16-2020 10:12 AM

its the crankshaft sensor they are 7 bucks on amazon and are fairly easy to install

Parts 02-26-2021 08:45 AM

Parts

I found this awesome page https://www.mitsubishi-parts-dealer.com
for the parts and accessories.

Stilmising 02-27-2021 08:22 AM

I think I have the same problem

Originally Posted by Daron1245 (Post 270126)
Hey I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES. I was driving one day and the car shut off so I pulled on the other side of the road. The engine turns over but it wont start. The fuel pump and timing belt is fine. I noticed my spark plugs were covered in oil and i was a little low on oil and coolant. The weird thing is I recently put coolant in, and the oil was alot lower than it should've been. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated thanks.

firing on four cylinders fuel from my throttlebody return line wants to start but act like it’s not firing my fuel and no backfire

Parts 03-03-2021 02:19 PM

Parts

I found this site while looking for parts for my Lancer... DiscountMitsubishiParts.com
you guys should check it out.

Parts 03-03-2021 02:25 PM

Hey if you need accessories or parts this is an amazing site i found DiscountMitsubishiParts.com