Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   2014 Outlander Sport Transmission Problems (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/2014-outlander-sport-transmission-problems-50064/)

martman465 09-01-2016 10:46 PM

2014 Outlander Sport Transmission Problems

I have a 2014 Outlander Sport. 12 weeks ago at 110,000, the car started whining on acceleration and within minutes the transmission started slipping. Transmission light came on. Brought it to my mechanic in Underhill and he said the transmission was gone. I got a used transmission with only 1000 miles on it and he put it in. Car drove good the week after that, but had an occassional hiccup on light acceleration, It was like a mini misfire when I would try to maintain speed, not when the car was shifting. A week after the transmission replacement, the transmission light came on again. Error code was for speed sensor, so mechanic replaced both in and out sensors. Car drove Ok after that, but the occasional hiccup on light acceleration continued. Had the spark plugs changed and the fuel system cleaned. Hiccup continued and is worse now and power seems to be much less. Check engine light came on. I took it to Mitsubihi. They said you cant put used transmissions in these cars. They said you can only get one specifically from mitsubishi new and programmed for that specific vehicle. They gave me a $9000 replacement estimate.

Used transmission was under warranty, so mechanic but a second one in. I am again having the same issues as before with the hiccup on light acceleration, check engine light on.

Its been 12 weeks in and out of my Underhill mechanic's shop and many thousand dollars spent.

Any thoughts? is Mitsubishi right that only new $9000 transmission replacement is the only option?

what a nightmare!:eek:

The Silent Seed 09-02-2016 07:17 AM

Ouch!!! I don't know how ANYBODY can afford these kind of hiccups.
Did you keep the vehicle well maintained by the book by the dealer to this point? If so, did you ever make mention of anything unusual with the transmission to them? If so, you just might be able to get them to replace it (Assuming you're the original owner.) A long shot, but…

martman465 09-02-2016 07:31 AM

I live in a rural area, I cant take it to the dealer all the time, but maintained the car well through local mechanic. The dealer is no help... wants $9000 low ball estimate and says only brand new transmission will work.

The Silent Seed 09-02-2016 09:01 AM

I hate to say this - but it sounds like it might be possible that he was not using the correct fluids - I would ask him to provide you with the exact fluids used, and then potentially that would give you cause for litigation. I hate to get into this - but if he didn't use correct fluids, he could have effectively ruined it - intentionally, or not - if that makes sense - just something to explore, maybe.
Most mechanics will have given you a worksheet showing the exact fluids used, though, in case you already have that info.
It sucks - but I'm seeing this more and more - where people are using the incorrect fluids and having major issues as a result.

martman465 09-02-2016 09:54 AM

Thank you for the reply! I do know that the fluids came directly from the Mitsubishi dealership, so I don't think this was the issue. I will look into it though just to make sure.

martman465 09-12-2016 08:09 PM

Still need help with this Outlander transmission question...

Originally Posted by martman465 (Post 317396)
I have a 2014 Outlander Sport. 12 weeks ago at 110,000, the car started whining on acceleration and within minutes the transmission started slipping. Transmission light came on. Brought it to my mechanic in Underhill and he said the transmission was gone. I got a used transmission with only 1000 miles on it and he put it in. Car drove good the week after that, but had an occassional hiccup on light acceleration, It was like a mini misfire when I would try to maintain speed, not when the car was shifting. A week after the transmission replacement, the transmission light came on again. Error code was for speed sensor, so mechanic replaced both in and out sensors. Car drove Ok after that, but the occasional hiccup on light acceleration continued. Had the spark plugs changed and the fuel system cleaned. Hiccup continued and is worse now and power seems to be much less. Check engine light came on. I took it to Mitsubihi. They said you cant put used transmissions in these cars. They said you can only get one specifically from mitsubishi new and programmed for that specific vehicle. They gave me a $9000 replacement estimate.

Used transmission was under warranty, so mechanic but a second one in. I am again having the same issues as before with the hiccup on light acceleration, check engine light on.

Its been 12 weeks in and out of my Underhill mechanic's shop and many thousand dollars spent.

Any thoughts? is Mitsubishi right that only new $9000 transmission replacement is the only option?

what a nightmare!:eek:

My question is... can you put a used transmission in a 2014 CVT Outlander Sport or is the dealer correct in saying only a new $9000 transmission will work ? Thanks for any advice

daem0n 09-23-2016 02:37 PM

I would say that used transmission should have been properly programmed. Probably ECU did not know anything about another transmission. Find a good dealer or "Mitsubishi pro" guy who will properly program ECU and maybe some chip on transmission. That should not cost more that $100...300

martman465 10-02-2016 08:30 AM

Great News!

UPDATE: Tried another mechanic. They disconnected the battery for 24 hours, which reset the ECU. Then let the car run at idle for 15 minutes. The car drives fine now! Cost $35! 15 weeks of bleeding money trying to fix this and renting a car as well. Mitsubishi dealer was no help. Their only solution was. $9000 transmission. So glad to have my Outlander back in service! Thanks for the thoughts on my issue.

daem0n 10-03-2016 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by martman465 (Post 317835)
UPDATE: Tried another mechanic. They disconnected the battery for 24 hours, which reset the ECU. Then let the car run at idle for 15 minutes. The car drives fine now! Cost $35! 15 weeks of bleeding money trying to fix this and renting a car as well. Mitsubishi dealer was no help. Their only solution was. $9000 transmission. So glad to have my Outlander back in service! Thanks for the thoughts on my issue.

Very nice solution. Congratulations! And actually, we are lucky with Mitsubishi because "battery trick" works. With "some other brands" that wouldn't work.

Tori Grant 11-06-2019 12:04 AM

did you even need anew used tranny to begin?

my 2014 Outlander just did this @ 106k miles. No warning literally engine light, some whining, dead in 40 miles. Mechanic says transmission is goner, no way its the ecm/tcm modules. Did the 2nd mechanic think it may have been electrical from the start?