Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   CVT mileage ? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/cvt-mileage-48729/)

The Silent Seed 08-25-2015 10:45 AM

CVT mileage ?

Hi gang - new here - so bear with me.

I just took home a 2013 Outlander SE on Friday eve; with a CVT. This is my first CVT. As you may know; the Outlander is rated at 21 / 27 mpg city / hwy.

I have been getting 28-29 mpg city, and 25-26 mpg hwy. I am not accustomed to using the CVT, and am sure there's a "trick" for on-highway driving with it - any pointers on that? (I'm not really interested in using the manual mode or cruise control.)

Or, is this "backwardness" expected, despite the rated mpg?

Thanks!

Copper penny 08-28-2015 02:41 PM

ECO mode?

Hi, Question? When I bought mine, the salesman showed me how the 4WD works, and he put my Setting in ECO mode , and that's like Driving it in 2WD is yours in that Setting? Mine is and Had to put gas in it for the Frist time and I'm getting 27.4 MPG. And that's half city& HWY. so I know it will get better when I go for a long Trip.

The Silent Seed 08-28-2015 02:51 PM

Hi,
My car continually stays in "Eco mode" automatically, unless if I am rapidly accelerating. When I lift my foot up, the ECO comes back on. It's been in 2wD the entire time I've had it, and I don't imagine it has anything to do with the ECO mode.
I won't bother with the 4wD until winter hits - at which time I'll get a sense of how it is with the 4wD. Speaking of which - what exactly is the difference between 4wD and 4 Lock?

I have found that driving between 60-65 on the highway, I will get 28 mpg - but in city, is where it shines - up to 31 mpg. Just put gas in it for the first time, myself - and calculating by how much gas I put in, and the miles I had put on it - I had gotten 26.5 mpg avg. (Also half and half.)

Best, Jude

Copper penny 08-28-2015 03:15 PM

Yeah, that's the way it works, I'm sure yours is like mine I have the S-AWC and it stays in 2 WD until road conditions change then it goes into 4 WD. And the 4 Wheel Lock is simple it stays in 4 WD when you push the botton and put it in lock, and it stays there until you release it. I'm new to this outlander as well:) we both are learning. All I've done is read what the owners manual has told me. It's good we can learn together :):) it's strange your gets better mpg in the city then on the Freeway? Do you have the 2.4 engine? Or V6?

The Silent Seed 08-28-2015 09:39 PM

Hi,
Interesting stuff. Who told you that it would "go into 4wD" by itself? That would make the 4wD button a moot point. (For the '15 and '16 it's a push button. For my '13 it is a turn-knob.)
Are you wheeling it, or just using it in slippery/snowy conditions? I'm not sure you should be playing with it on dry pavement? My car's owners manual was missing - so they ordered me a new one - can't wait to get it and read up about all of this. I am especially curious about the 4wD/4Lock difference, since the concept is the same for both modes.
My city mpg may be much better because I can coast a lot more, and obviously drive slower - where the CVT shines. I'm also trying to come up with a personal best, for mpg.
The only Outlander that has a V6 is the GT. Mine is a SE; with the 2.4L. (The V6 does not have CVT.)
I may seem like I know a lot - I really don't. I only know all this from test-driving my '13, a '15, and a '16 (The '15 and '16 were the same, and know that the '14 is as well.) I have literally only had it one week, today - and all of what I've learned is from driving it, and doing my homework on google.

Copper penny 08-28-2015 10:21 PM

Super - AWC

Hi, I looked at the Brochure for the 015 and under S-AWC it shows normal mode,Snow mode,lock mode, and AWC ECO mode, and under ECO mode it says-it stays in 2 WD for better Fuel Economy, engaging in 4 WD only when the wheels start to Slip. And I have a Brochure for the 016 and the Cvt is In the ES and the SE model only. The only diffrent trans is in the GT model. And the same for the 015,s

The Silent Seed 08-29-2015 06:29 AM

Ah - interesting - Amazing what technology can do these days. I'm definitely not looking forward to winter so soon, but can't wait to see how it performs in snow.

Copper penny 08-29-2015 10:31 AM

Body style

Hi, before I posted my last post, I looked up the 013 model to see what it looks like and your Outlander is the last of that body style ? So in 014 that's the New Body style. And everything is Diffrent on the 014&015 body then yours. And I think in 014 is when they started the S-AWC for the 2WD to the 4WD. Do you have any Pictures of your Outlander so I can see what it looks like? I know you will be happy when you get your owners manual :):) so you can read up on it. So did you get a good Deal on it? Does it have low mileage on it? Hopefully it was serviced real good. :D

Copper penny 08-29-2015 10:46 AM

On the S-AWC I see they have have it on the 013 as well But maybe the knob is a manual botton . Your Front end looks like the Outlander Sport wright? That is a very Sharp Outlander!!!

The Silent Seed 08-29-2015 11:44 AM

Hi,
It seems like you and I are the only active members on here? Like you said - it'll be fun to learn together.
Yes; the 2013 is also an "AWC" The "S-AWC" I don't know what the difference is - but the s stands for "Super." Yes; the knob is a manual button that I turn - Yours has a push-button, but it's in the same place.
In my opinion, ours look the same - except for the back being flat, not curved. I have to take some pictures - how about you?
I guess I got an okay deal - nothing to write home about - but it has 43K miles (Now 44,500 after a week.) It has a good car-fax, one owner, certified, but no service history which is odd - but I had my own mechanic check it out. Said it's in good shape.