Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   DECISIONS ARE NOT MY DEAL (stereo dilemmas)help a lady out! (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/decisions-not-my-deal-stereo-dilemmas-help-lady-out-49046/)

Lacerfemme18 11-21-2015 03:27 AM

DECISIONS ARE NOT MY DEAL (stereo dilemmas)help a lady out!

Okay so, I'm a new owner to a lovely 2008 lancer (es, I think...honestly not sure)
The first thing I wanna change is this ****ty stereo module, not having six capabilities is probably ruining my life somehow I just know it.

So, I need suggestions on what stereo I should get. I have a low price point ( I'd say $500 absolute max ) and just your suggestions!( touchscreen vs non as well)
Thank you in advance!!

Guyfromhe 11-21-2015 09:34 AM

six what?

Answer these questions and it might help find what you need:

What don't you like specifically about the existing stereo?
Do you have a premium sound system? (Rockford Fosgate written anywhere)
Do you need GPS?
Do you care if it looks factory or not?
Are you planning on upgrading speakers or amps?
Are you self installing or does the $500 have to include install costs?

Lacerfemme18 11-21-2015 01:50 PM

Aux not six, I'm sorry!, I have a pretty basic sound system, not sure...it's not the touch screen one of that helps, I don't care if it doesn't look factory, I want to do a bunch of asthetic mods to my car anyway, and my regular help us out of town so it will have to include installation !

Also I will upgrade speakers and amps SOMEDAY but not anytime soon (:

Originally Posted by Lacerfemme18 (Post 312941)
Okay so, I'm a new owner to a lovely 2008 lancer (es, I think...honestly not sure)
The first thing I wanna change is this ****ty stereo module, not having ***aux capabilities is probably ruining my life somehow I just know it.

So, I need suggestions on what stereo I should get. I have a low price point ( I'd say $500 absolute max ) and just your suggestions!( touchscreen vs non as well)
Thank you in advance!!

Guyfromhe 11-21-2015 04:59 PM

TL;DR:
- You can pick any aftermarket stereo you want, decide what features you need (aux in, Bluetooth, iPod connector, navigation, etc) and what kind of display you want and what you think looks the best to you.

- You will need to buy a dash kit to mount it and a steering wheel control module if you have them and a harness adapter.

- Crutchfield.com will let you enter your car and show you what fits and what options you have, they will also let you buy all the pieces you need to install it.

- Finally you can go to Best Buy or even Walmart and look at their car audio section, they will usually have demo units you can make sure the interface won't drive you crazy and that it sounds good to you. They will generally be able to sell you the stereo and install it for you at the same place for a single fee.

You can apparently wire an aux input into the existing stereo:

You may be able to get a audio place to do that for you without changing the whole head unit...

I'd go to crutchfield.com and enter your car model info and select a receiver you like the look of. They will auto select for you a dash kit, steering wheel control adapter, OEM cable connector which will add about $70 CAD / $50 USD to the price of the receiver.
They have very simple ones for around $150 CAD or so.

Expect to pay probably $80-150 for installation depending where you go.

Alternatively you can go to Best Buy or similar and look at the stereos they have..
Every aftermarket stereo fits in something called a DIN which is a standardized measurement for a radio, your Lancer can take a single or double DIN radio.

You need to buy something called a dash kit (Scosche MI3019B) which is essentially the piece of plastic that you have in your car around the radio right now except it's got a larger hole in it to accommodate a single or double DIN radio and various mounting plates for an aftermarket radio.

You will also need a steering wheel control adapter if you want to keep your wheel controls (if you have them) like the PAC SWI-RC.

Finally you will need a harness adapter which allows you to wire your stereo into your cars factory plug so you don't have to chop up the wires. These only cost about $10 and are well worth the price to not have to damage the cars wiring.