Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   HELP!, just joined in, buying decision on Montero Sport, undecided! (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/help-just-joined-buying-decision-montero-sport-undecided-48168/)

calazo 04-27-2015 02:20 PM

HELP!, just joined in, buying decision on Montero Sport, undecided!

Hi all, I just joined the forum!. I need to get a family, not too big and yet off-road capable SUV and, after evaluating my needs and wants, I've narrowed it down to two choices: 2004 Montero Sport 4WD A/T with the 3.0L V6 engine (sadly, the 3.5L is not available in my country) or a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L A/T 4WD. I like them both and they cost about the same here, I have also driven them both. The bigger Montero/Pajero Wagon is pretty popular in my country, but it exceeds my budget. What do you think?, in what ways is the Montero Sport (a.k.a. Nativa, as they call it here) better than the Pathfinder, or not...? Thank you in advance...:confused:

81cb900 04-29-2015 01:34 AM

I looked at the Pathfinder before I bought my Montero Sport. My decision was between the Monty and the Toyota 4Runner, which I believe is the midsized Land Cruiser in other countries. The almost equal power and reliability reviews along with the much lower price for a used Montero Sport helped me make up my mind.

As for the Pathfinder, I had hesitation with that 3.5l motor. It is more of a car motor, being in their sedans, minivans and 350Z/G35. That motor is a powerhouse and I know that it puts out more horsepower and torque than the 3.5 in my MS, but most of the power is likely produced at higher RPMs, which may not help much when crawling in 4WD.

Having managed a tire and lube shop for several years, my opinion is that it is just not very reliable. Oil leaks are very common and they often spring from places that require a lot of time and money to fix. I have talked with customers who had things like lower crank bearing problems or blown head gaskets at surprisingly low miles.

Again, this is just my opinion. If I saw a sample of the unlucky few and most of the Pathfinders out there hold up just fine, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. When I was shopping in my area (SW United Stated), used Pathfinders cost about 10-15% more than Montero Sports, so the decision was pretty easy.

I can tell you that the Montero Sport has lived up to my expectations. Mine is factory with the exception of 31" A/T tires and I have taken it off-roading and into some pretty demanding situations. It can handle the mud and dirt pretty well, as long as I remember that I have the factory clearance underneath. Also, I love how it feels on the street. The handling surprised me with how smooth it is and they seem to have found a great balance with the suspension that makes it comfortableon the street, but still able to handle hard terrain. Good luck to you!