More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Default More Power?

I am new to tuning is this worth it? Typhoonâ„¢ Air Intake System. I am trying to make my 2003 Eclispe GS get up and go. Much slower than the V6. I need help bad feels like i am driving a go cart LOL.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Default RE: More Power?

it will give it a quicker feel but not a huge difference... it will be noticeable. I say save for a while and buy a turbo from tearstone then youll smoke the v6 eclipse and alot of v8 cars

Old 02-06-2006, 07:20 PM

Do I have to change anything else if I get Turbo?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: NubianSithLord

Do I have to change anything else if I get Turbo?
The kit comes with everythin needed except clutch LSD (if you want one) and gauges.... The tearstone kit makes around 300WHP on the stock motor 4G64 so for $4500 or what ever it cost that is a huge leap of power since stock only puts down 109ish on a dyno

Old 02-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Cool. I did not really want to spend that much so soon. what about this? The Turbonator is a non-moving vortex generator that goes inside your air intake hose, right after your air filter.
Something I saw from link?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:32 PM

Cool. I did not really want to spend that much so soon. what about this? The Turbonator is a non-moving vortex generator that goes inside your air intake hose, right after your air filter.
Something I saw from link?
NOOoo ok now I know what your talking about. that is the car worlds biggest scam it does nothing at all.

Like I said just save for a while put away little by little, or Russ(tearstone) sells a budget kit that makes less power but still give quite a bit of a gain, it isnt as pertty ad the all out kit but it is much cheaper... Check out Tearstone.com and you can browse around for the 2000-2005 GS\RS 4G64 turbo kits

Old 02-06-2006, 09:22 PM

Not to be a pain. I told you I am totally new to this tuning thing but, I am getting hooked. I have many cars over the years and just in the last year or so have been intrested in having faster than stock cars. I have had a Nissian 240sx 92 a 88 MR2 the Eagle Talon TSI also a Mustang V6 with a duel conversion then you already know about the 2000 eclispe GT and now I am driving the 2003 GS which seems like the slowest car in the world to me LOL. I just like sports cars. my question is if I add the turbo how does that effect the life of the car. my 2003 only has 21500 miles on it I want it to last for a few years. I want to get a motorcycle this summer and my wife will trip if I have to buy another car within 3 years. I don't race just like high performance cars so when I punch it I can fly.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:08 PM

Not to be a pain. I told you I am totally new to this tuning thing but, I am getting hooked. I have many cars over the years and just in the last year or so have been intrested in having faster than stock cars. I have had a Nissian 240sx 92 a 88 MR2 the Eagle Talon TSI also a Mustang V6 with a duel conversion then you already know about the 2000 eclispe GT and now I am driving the 2003 GS which seems like the slowest car in the world to me LOL. I just like sports cars. my question is if I add the turbo how does that effect the life of the car. my 2003 only has 21500 miles on it I want it to last for a few years. I want to get a motorcycle this summer and my wife will trip if I have to buy another car within 3 years. I don't race just like high performance cars so when I punch it I can fly.
It should last fine... There are a ton of turbod GS\RS 3G eclipses that have been running for years. If you stayed at 9PSI you will make around 275WHP and be not even close to hurting that motor yet. that car can take about 15PSI daily. and if you have someone who is really good a tuning youll be as good if not better than if the car were stock.

I know the v6 is much weaker than the I4 in the eclipses and Russ (tearstone) has been turbod for 2 years now without any problems and he runs 8PSI which is max on the v6 stock motor.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM

A word on these Tearstone turbo-kits that everyones so quick to recommend.

For the RS/GS basic NON INTERCOOLED turbo kit you will pay $2300.00 +125 shipping and handling
This kit is good for ~210whp, which is a little bit faster than a stock GT would be... Wow, an additional 2300+ to be a hair faster than a stock GT?!? OUCH!

For the RS/GS basic INTERCOOLED turbo kit you will pay $3500.00 (an extra 1200 for a fmic and piping?!?!?!? DAMN!) +125 shipping and handling
They don't say how much of a difference the 1200 buck intercooler would make, but I'd assume that it'd be good for an additional 20ish hp (and that's being generous) so we'll say it's good for 230ish whp. This car would still be faster than a stock GT, but not by a ton, and for 3500..... Wow....

For the RS/GS pro turbo kit, you will pay $4500.00 +125 shipping and handling
This kit is good for ~240whp @ 8.5psi, or 310 @ 15psi which on a stock 4G64, I doubt it would last very long running that motor at 15psi, the compression is too high and you're guaranteed to crack a ring gland. Please don't argue with me on this based on conjecture I've dealt with enough stock turbo'd 4G64's to know [:@] You may pump 310hp out of it for a lil' bit, but I wouldn't try it [:-]

In all honesty this is not a very good platform to start with, I would never let that deter me from modifying my own ride, but when you have to spend at least 2425 to make it rival a 15 second GT, that's some hefty change man.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Geez....that be some coin. Sounds worth it though.

Quick Reply: More Power?