Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

C.Conver. Prob

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Default C.Conver. Prob

Hey everyone</P>

I posted maybe a month or 2 ago about a P code problem with my galant. After tryin to trade it in, i found that i was sold the car at 12k instead of 9-10. Needless to say i cant afford 500 a month payments with anything which would happen after I lost 6k on the car. Anyways the problem is i need a new <FONT face=Arial>Catalytic Converter at least thats what im led to believe. My situation is the price they told me (it was a dealer at the time) was hella more than I was intending, so im tryin to price it for this garage near my area. I wanna make sure I dont get worked over and takin for a ride again. If anyone know where I can find any listings please contact me asap. Thanks</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial>99 galant es2.4 4cyl</FONT></P>

Old 05-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Default C.Conver. Prob

Man Poconos, sorry about your luck. Now you know why we all think the dealers are Satan in disguise. But ummm....you should really get a mechanic(no dealer mechanic) to check it out. Perhaps your *friendly* dealer is trying to get you to spendmoney onthings that aren't the cause of your problem. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.You can take your car to Autozone and have them hook up their OBD2 machine to your car and they should be able totell you exactly what the codes are. They do this service for free, so it won't hurt to try. If it does turn out to be a Catalytic Converter, just reply back and i'll be more than happy to direct you to some quality aftermarket converters that cost half as much as the dealers charge. Hope everything works out for you and good luck.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Default C.Conver. Prob

Hey Sypder</P>

Yea, they "claim" its the same code that Autozone came up with. The PO420 i think is what they came up with. To be quite honest, its posted in my first post about the check engine light, so im pretty much goin off what i remember. Its goin in wed. to get looked at. One of my friends said they can be found for around 100. Is it hard to install because by the pic ive seen it doesnt look that complicated, but being i really dont know jack about cars, i would have to work with him on it. I got ripped off on price with this car esp with things ive been fixing. Im very disappointed, and just wish I could trade it in already. I still apparently have a bit to go to get my payment down so i dont get ripped off worse...so therefore need to fix what i gotta. Any info is def welcome! Thanks for the reply</P>

Old 05-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Default RE: C.Conver. Prob

Replacing the Catalytic converter isn't such a difficult ordeal. Pretty much bolt off/bolt on. There should only be 4 bolts holding the Cat in place, two on each side. Just loosen them and then the cat should slip off. Then put the new cat in place and tighten the bolts. Not too hard, but getting the bolts loose may be a little difficult since you'll be under the car. Just update us on your progress and whenever you're about to do the procedure. Good luck and hope this is the end of your problems!!