Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-23/)
-   -   cold air intake for v6 galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-23/cold-air-intake-v6-galant-15830/)

gLantv699 01-09-2007 11:20 AM

cold air intake for v6 galant

Does anybody know where i can find a cold air intake for a v6 galant? everytime i find one its always for the 4 cyl...

VR4GARY 01-09-2007 01:28 PM

RE: cold air intake for v6 galant

Ebay has several for about $40.

gLantv699 01-09-2007 02:28 PM

they are defintly for the 6 cyl? everytime i looked i found it only for the 4cyl but i'm not even sure if theres a difference... maybe i can use the ones they make for the 4 cyl on the 6 cyl model?

TheEngineer 01-09-2007 02:37 PM

dont buy a cheap ebay intake, you will have alot of problems if you do. Only get something that is made buy a good manufacturer. The only one for the v6 i could find is made by weapon R and tis a short ram that says it works for both the 4 and 6 Click Here

gLantv699 01-09-2007 03:12 PM

yeah i know i wasnt going to buy one off of ebay for $40, i'd rather spend the extra money on something that won't give me problems, and thanks for that site, do you know what the difference is between a "cold air intake" and a "short ram intake"... does one give u more power than the other?

TheEngineer 01-09-2007 03:35 PM

The names of them basically tell what they are. A cold air intake is longer and usually has piping all the way down to the bumper to get the intake filter out of the engine bay, therefore getting "colder" air. While a short ram will stay in the engine bay and usually only be a small pipe to a filter. Beacuse its in the engine bay you wont be getting as cold of air, which the colder the air the better perfomance youll get. However the difference between a short ram intake and a cold air intake may only be about 5hp. And the issue with a cold air system in that because the filter is behind the bumber and so low to the ground, you run the risk of sucking in water that splashed or you end up in a big enough puddle and submerging the filter. This can cuase the engine do be flooded, which could really cause major problems. I had a CAI on a car for overa year and never had a problem, but i can happen.

gLantv699 01-09-2007 03:43 PM

yeah i heard of that before, i definitly dont want that happening.. so i guess im just gonna have to stick with the short ram, as long as i feel some what of a difference yanno, but do you know of any good exhaust to put on a galant? just wondering, and not something that sounds really loud, i'm not to into that.. like how those civics sound..

TheEngineer 01-09-2007 03:56 PM

just dont get only a axle back, cuz its not worth it, It will sound like crap. Get a nice cat-back system. I think you might like the sound of a greddy or magnaflow exhuast. But i dont know if they make one for your car. You might be able to get one that was made for a 3g V6 eclipse. But im not totally sure

TheEngineer 01-09-2007 04:00 PM

also if they dont make a system for your car you could just buy a muffler and have a shop make you the cat back.

gLantv699 01-09-2007 04:21 PM

alright i'll try looking for a greddy or magnaflow one for my car, its probably more expensive to buy a muffler and have a shop make me the cat back right? i heard a flowmaster before and they sound good, but i dont know if they make anything for my car.. the only way to make it sound different is to buy the whole cat-back system? or is there something else i can get to make it sound that way...