Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-23/)
-   -   Downpipe? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-23/downpipe-9888/)

jaday 04-15-2006 02:51 PM

Downpipe?

So I'm looking at replacing the entire exhaust system on a 95 GST. I was curious about the legality of aftermarket downpipes. Since most of the ones that I've seen replace the catalytic convertor, wouldn't they be illegal for street use? I would like to have a good 2 1/2 if not 3 inch exhaust all the way back, but I don't want to have to deal with failing inspections for not having a convertor. Any insight would be appreciated!

SmokeShow 04-16-2006 07:15 PM

RE: Downpipe?

ok i had i 92 gsx and i also wen with the down pipe i would recomend the APEXi N1 Downpipe but theres some things u should know like u said it would replace the factory catalytic
but with the removel of the CAT and install of the larger A'PEXi piping, the turbo will be able to push out mutch more free flowing exhaust i was hitting 17psi before hitting the factory fuel cut but i then installed a HKS Fuel cut Defencer to fix the problem.
HP TQ
with a base line of 183hp 198

1. APEXi Downpipe 219hp 228 (thats a gain of 36hp and 30TQ)
2. HKS FCD 267hp 252 (thats a gain of 47hp and 24TQ) [i went the extra step and also put in a Holley 255lph fuel pump]
3.Holly Fuel Pump 290hp 278 (thats a gain of 23hp and 25TQ)

F. Final gains 106hp 79TQ

and all of this should be about 600$ in parts and can be installed in about 2-4 hours and all of these specs are baked up buy a dynomometer thats almost 300hp and still on the stock turbo;-)

jaday 04-17-2006 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: SmokeShow

ok i had i 92 gsx and i also wen with the down pipe i would recomend the APEXi N1 Downpipe but theres some things u should know like u said it would replace the factory catalytic
but with the removel of the CAT and install of the larger A'PEXi piping, the turbo will be able to push out mutch more free flowing exhaust i was hitting 17psi before hitting the factory fuel cut but i then installed a HKS Fuel cut Defencer to fix the problem.
HP TQ
with a base line of 183hp 198

1. APEXi Downpipe 219hp 228 (thats a gain of 36hp and 30TQ)
2. HKS FCD 267hp 252 (thats a gain of 47hp and 24TQ) [i went the extra step and also put in a Holley 255lph fuel pump]
3.Holly Fuel Pump 290hp 278 (thats a gain of 23hp and 25TQ)

F. Final gains 106hp 79TQ

and all of this should be about 600$ in parts and can be installed in about 2-4 hours and all of these specs are baked up buy a dynomometer thats almost 300hp and still on the stock turbo;-)
Yeah, I mean, that sounds good and all, I'd love to push that kind of power on my stock turbo, but would I be able to drive it on the street? Having tons of power without being able to pass inspections isn't gonna help me that much...

EMonz57 04-17-2006 08:35 PM

that is not alot of power really that is very streetable. 300WHP is not bad at all to drive. I do it daily but again I am AWD so its easier my buddies GSt is about the same and he has no trouble driveing it

jaday 04-17-2006 08:57 PM

Yeah, I meant I'm concerned that I won't be able to get inspections passed because I don't actually have a catalytic convertor.

99clipsgst 04-18-2006 01:40 PM

Move to FL we don't have inspection. or when you take off your old down pipe and cat save it and a week b4 inspection put it back on. It is onlt 4 bolts and should only take like 1 hour todo.

SmokeShow 04-18-2006 02:36 PM

ya im in FL so thats why i wasn't thinking about the inspection i lived in a few diffrent states and never had to go through inspections it was never really a issue

DSMTalonAWD51 04-20-2006 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: jaday

Yeah, I meant I'm concerned that I won't be able to get inspections passed because I don't actually have a catalytic convertor.
take it off before getting inspected?