Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust in cabin outlander 2.2 D I D

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Default Exhaust in cabin outlander 2.2 D I D

Hello,
New here but at my wits end.....
Got a 2011 outlander with the mitsubishi 2.2 diesel engine. Love it to bits but had an issue where it was pumping exhaust gas into cabin when at standstill. Found injector seals leaking so had all changed and problem disappeared. Unfortunately it has started doing it again to a slightly lesser extent!! Checked seals and are fine. Garage confirmed this..... Where else is likely to leak exhaust around engine bay? Are there any flexible braided parts known to fail etc or a gasket??
Any help appreciated!!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi!

Have you solved this issue? Does exhaust leak into the cabin "sometimes" or all the time?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:21 AM

Hi, sorry for VERY delayed reply.... Had password issues. Nope, not sorted..... Only happens when car been running and then when I stop at lights etc it seems to find it's way through vents.
Now had 2 garages look and find no exhaust leaks and as they didn't drive for more than a mile contained replicate fault..... But it is doing it. A mate borrowed it other day and confirmed after a run when he stopped it stank although his thoughts were that it may be diesel rather than exhaust?! Got no leaks but wondered if maybe leak off pipes may be seeping the odour??
Any help appreciated as always.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Well, just a thing to check: there is a cabin air escape vent at left back corner of the car. That vent has wide horizontal rubber fins/plugs which open up when pressure in the car is higher than outside. These fins can be dusty, stack opened, missing and exhaust can be sucked in. Unless you want to remove trim panels in the trunk to check it, one can put a hand from under left back fender and check if they are closed. Or film a movie with a cellphone and lamp turned on. See red arrow figure from trailer hitch installation manual.
Exhaust in cabin outlander 2.2 D I D-vent.png

Old 07-25-2017, 01:16 PM

Ah!! Will have a look at that when I get a sec..... Is it same on mine as it's a bit older with split boot....
Worth noting too that it doesn't do it if recirculated is on which may throw this theory out?!
Degreased and cleaned engine bay last night too and still got smell albeit seems less. Could it be turbo gasket just puffing a little at higher revs and collecting under bonnet?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:22 AM

Another test:
0) Turn on ignition but not the engine, lock all doors/windows
1) Turn off air recirculation (no fresh air into car)
2) turn off A/C and start engine, drive a little

If there is still smell then it is unlikely coming from under hood
BTW, do you use carbon cabin air filter? It helps a lot against outside smells..

In my outlander III 2.2DiD from 2013 I have no such problem, but one thing I am not happy with are rubber door seals. They are too soft and thin, each time my passenger pushes the door with a bit more force it slams like there is no seal at all. I will not be surprised if your seals are degraded and simply leak all outside smell in. Personally, I would buy and replace all door seals in my car.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks, tried that and no smell. Only smells when air directed from outside under windscreen by bonnet......
Hmmm, wondering about filter now..... Got paper one at mo but wonder if one I took out was carbon and maybe that's when started smelling it?? Will check date I changed it.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Update!!
The cabin filter was changed ataround the same time I started smelling the "exhaust fumes" and as I just threw it away I have no idea if it was carbon one. I do know that I have NOW fitted a carbon one and haven't had any smells so far today!! Keeping my fingers crossed..... Had scuttle panel off too and see the inlet is a rectangular hole on passenger side above pollen filter..... Leads me to wonder that the smell may well have been hot engine and maybe a little diesel perhaps permiating through the fuel lines (rubber pipes)?? See how it goes but may get them done soon too!

Fully agree with door seals comment. Rubbish. Rear door seal has even come away and ripped from cleat in one place.... 😔
Thanks for all your advice Daemon.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Have you solved this issue?

Old 01-27-2019, 11:03 AM

I also have an Outlander Diesel 2013 with fumes in the cabin.

I have received conflicting advice from Mitsubishi dealers and other garages.

Some claim it is simply the pollen filter and/or injector seals, while others claim there is a crack in the exhaust manifold.

I have had a full service done which replaced the Air Refresher Assembly, Air Cleaner Element, Gasket, Fuel Injector Nozzle and other items and yet the problem remains.

Would be great if anyone can offer advice on how to narrow down the problem?

Quick Reply: Exhaust in cabin outlander 2.2 D I D