Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-23/)
-   -   Exhaust in cabin outlander 2.2 D I D (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-23/exhaust-cabin-outlander-2-2-d-i-d-50952/)

Elkin 05-31-2019 12:27 AM

Only when regenerating

2.2 2011. The smell only comes when the DPF is regenerating, and that is not so rear occasion... Then I stop the external air and it is fine. But it is annoying. If someone has a solution, please share.

AGD 04-07-2021 11:29 PM

Exhaust fumes in outlander cabin

Originally Posted by Andy Pashley (Post 320487)
Hello,
New here but at my wits end.....
Got a 2011 outlander with the mitsubishi 2.2 diesel engine. Love it to bits but had an issue where it was pumping exhaust gas into cabin when at standstill. Found injector seals leaking so had all changed and problem disappeared. Unfortunately it has started doing it again to a slightly lesser extent!! Checked seals and are fine. Garage confirmed this..... Where else is likely to leak exhaust around engine bay? Are there any flexible braided parts known to fail etc or a gasket??
Any help appreciated!!

binbin

I have a 2015 MY Outlander 2.2 diesel.. I had the same problem and yes, it is a cracked manifold. Will take three days to fix. I suspect it may have cracked given that in a previous life, and judging by large stone hole in plastic guard under engine that the vehicle was driven on rough roads. Andrew

DibbyDibbyDJ 04-08-2021 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by AGD (Post 332786)
binbin

I have a 2015 MY Outlander 2.2 diesel.. I had the same problem and yes, it is a cracked manifold. Will take three days to fix. I suspect it may have cracked given that in a previous life, and judging by large stone hole in plastic guard under engine that the vehicle was driven on rough roads. Andrew

3 Days? more like 3hours.. Although i have changed a few recently.

Just a bad design, no other reason why they crack

AGD 04-08-2021 02:57 AM

Thanks for your reply.Dibby. Why should I be surprised re bad design! Three days = 1 day to send to town, 1 day to get it rewelded or whatever they do, 1 day to get it back to be fitted. I was told it would be repaired. Should I insist on a total replacement? And to your knowledge, is this an issue with older Outlanders in general, or am I one of the lucky few? Thankfully, still under dealer warranty...just!!

DibbyDibbyDJ 04-08-2021 05:52 AM

Anything with the 4N14 engine. I have done 2017 models. i havent seen a newer one yet. The problem is made worse because the surface of the manifold isnt flat, it is slightly bent by design, so that when torqued correctly and heated by running the engine the stresses in the metal disappear. Im unsure whether this is because of poor fitting at assembly.

I have seen one welded, but have not had a report on whether it has recracked.

All the fitting bolts and nuts, as well as the studs on the turbo SHOULD be replaced at the same time. Under warranty we have to do that, but if paying customer its optional. But they should really be done.

EDIT:: If your is under manufacturers warranty they MUST replace it

AGD 04-08-2021 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 332790)
Anything with the 4N14 engine. I have done 2017 models. i havent seen a newer one yet. The problem is made worse because the surface of the manifold isnt flat, it is slightly bent by design, so that when torqued correctly and heated by running the engine the stresses in the metal disappear. Im unsure whether this is because of poor fitting at assembly.

All the fitting bolts and nuts, as well as the studs on the turbo SHOULD be replaced at the same time. Under warranty we have to do that, but if paying customer its optional. But they should really be done.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the problem. I believe this engine has been used in diesel Outlanders for some time, unless there was a slight change from the ZK model (mine) onwards. But if you have worked on a 2017 model with the same problem, then perhaps not.

Cable 07-29-2021 06:30 AM

Exhaust fumes in cabin - Outlander 2016 2.2d

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 332790)

Thanks in advance to the members for helping to resolve this issue.

I Kindly ask DibbyDibbyDJ for some details for dismantling of the exhaust manifold:

- What is the best approach to remove the exhaust manifold (from below the vehicle ?)
- Any photos from most usual location of the crack on the manifold
- Opinion - will JB weld -extreme solve the situation if crack is found ?

Any of the above details clarification is very appreciated.

Best Regards,

DibbyDibbyDJ 07-29-2021 04:10 PM

The manifold is removed from above
, Disconnnect the plastic turbo hoses,
Remove metal bracket mounted to turbo that bolts to head
Unclip dpf sensor connectors (3)
remove bolts holding upper heat shield (3)
Undo 3 bolts holding DPF to turbo
Undo 2 12mm head size bolts under turbo holding it to a bracket ( not visible)
Undo 3 Bolts holding turbo to manifold
Remove turbo oil feed and return pipes.
Remove turbo
Undo bolts and nuts holding manifold to head

On the left side of the manifold the outlet to the EGR port is smaller. This is where it cracks all around the pipe. You will see black soot on the left side of the manifold

You can remove the lower DPF mounting bolt to make things easier, but this is only accessible from underneath.. This bolt secures the DPF to the transfer case.

IGetting it rewelded is preferable to JB weld. I have never personally tried it

nickthesafe 08-20-2021 01:44 PM

Booked in for 3rd exhaust manifold

2017 di-d, exhaust gas in cabin in 2019 got a new one done under warranty.
It's done it again and booked in to an independent garage next week. Its a poor show really, not a robust manifold by any means, unless they've changed it since 2019 a welded shaped sheet and pipe affair rather than a decent cast piece. This time (as its not main dealer) i'll get to keep the old one and weld it up for 'next time'!. Has anyone managed to get reimbursed out of warranty?

DibbyDibbyDJ 08-20-2021 06:27 PM

You will not get reimbursed for out of network repairs.