Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Installing RCA Adapter into stock head unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Default Installing RCA Adapter into stock head unit

I just bought an amp and sub for my '03 Eclipse, but to hook it up to my head unit, I need an RCA adapter, which I've already got. However, I need intrucructions on how to hook up the wiring from the Adapter to the Wiring Harness on my head unit........please assist!! Directions or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

The Adapter has 2 brown wires, a white wire, a grey wire, a white/black wire, and a grey/black wire.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Default RE: Installing RCA Adapter into stock head unit

Brown - chasis ground (don't hook these up)
White, Grey - pausitive speaker lead
White/Black, Grey/Black - negative speaker lead

simple as that my friend

Old 08-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Ok, thanks. But which wires do those go to? The back of the head unit has 2 different Wiring Harnesses, which wires do I splice them into? I went looking online and I went to Best Buy and everywhere I went told me to just splice the wires in with an existing speaker wire.......problem was they never told me which colored wires to splice them into....thanks alot.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 PM

What sort of vehicle are you installing this in? Does the car have the Infinity or Rockford sound packages? Honestly, the simplest way to do a LOC install is to go directly to the speaker closest to where you'll be mounting the amp. Most vehicles it's hard to fit a line output converter in behind the factory radio, so the way I normally do it is go straight to the speaker. Just check the polarity of the speaker to find out which one is pausitive and which one is negative. If the terminals are not labeled, all you need to do when you do this is touch the wires of the speaker to a AA battery. If the speaker flexes in, flip the battery. The cone of the speaker should flex outward, and the wire that touches the (+) of the battery is the connected to the pausitive terminal, and that's the one that you'll need to attatch the White and Grey wires to. The other is connected to the (-) terminal and you should attatch the White/Black and Grey/Black. After that, route the RCA's, hide the LOC and you're golden.

P.S.
When you're routing your RCA, Ground and Power wires, be sure that there is at least 8" of separation between the RCA's and any of the wires that are conducting power. If they're too close together or cross, you can get some unwanted noise or alternator whine.

Edit again: Didn't see the 03 Eclipse at the top. Factory amp is under the passenger seat if memory serves me correctly. You can attach there, at the rear of the deck or at the speaker itself. My recomendation is either at the output side of the amp or the speaker, so you're getting a stronger signal going to your amp. If you've got a factory sub, tie into the leads on it.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:19 AM

Evos right, use (most likely) your rear passenger speaker to tap the line level converter to... dont forget to ground the coverter! (There will be a black wire meant for this on the thing) Also, dont just jump your pwr/remote wire when youre doing the install, make a remote wire by either making a switched pwr lead for it, or doing the fuse trick, or even hooking the thing into your cigarette lighter.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Hey thanks guys. I got it all hooked up, but I'm experiencing another problem. When I hooked it up the first time, I put the amp horizontally on the floor of my trunk and everything worked fine. But when I moved it to the back of my back seat, vertically, the power cut in and out and it wouldn't work. I just spent the last hour and a half tryin to figure it out and I couldn't get it. Any suggestions??

Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 PM

My first guess would be a wiring issue... check and make sure nothing got pulled out in the move.
My second guess would be that the amp is overheating, and throwing itself into protect.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Its not a disconnected wire issue.....I know for a fact. However, I did c a spark fly between the two back seats......So obviously one of the power cables is getting interfered with the ground cable somehow. But I moved the ground wire almost all the way to the other side of the car and still the power flickered. Maybe ur right about the heat, though, idk.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM

No, if its sparking it definatly a wire grounding out somewhere, man.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 PM

sparks are always a bad thing. my suggestion, pull power wires and ground, double check EVERYTHING. cars are pretty, fire is pretty, but put them together and it'll make you cry.

Quick Reply: Installing RCA Adapter into stock head unit