Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

4G54 Racing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 AM
Default 4G54 Racing Engine

I'm new to this forum & joined predominantly in the quest for information.

We're in the process of building an engine for a customer's Sigma speedway racing car, using the 4G54.
We've built loads of Small Block Chev V8's, Holden & Ford 6's, the odd Ford V8 & even a couple of Honda's over the years, but we've only ever just freshend one of these 4G54 2.6L motors. Consequently we're having a hard time trying to source parts. I understand they are getting quite old now, but they were used quite a bit in road racing, rallying & speedway. So I am assuming there should be manufacturers around that can supply aftermarket "performance" type parts to suit. I understand they may not have them on the shelf, but I'm hoping they will still have information & tooling required to manufacturer.
We're already having Arias make some pistons with a 20cc dome, internal cnc mill lightening & lightweight wrist pins. Should yield around 11.1:1 CR.

Anyways, hopefully with some help from some forum members we can track down the following;

*Vernier adjustable cam gear. I made one recently for a L series Datsun motor, but wanted to compare cost & availability vs time & messing around.

*a decent profile camshaft to produce power from around 2000rpm to 7500rpm. eg good duration & reasonable valve lift. Lobe seperation???
We would prefer a new billet over a reclaimed & reground version.

*ball tip rocker arms. Seen a set of these years ago, but can't seem to find anyone that even knows what I'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM

* Camshaft I would recommend Web Cam they have provided us many for Mits applications, and they are good at custom manufacturing and keeping pricing reasonable.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Thanks.
We've had a few from WebCam just recently for an L series Datsun motor we've been messing with. They don't list anything for the 4G54.

We've had Tighe Engineering do some stuff for us in the past too (for a Honda motor we were developing), they do some nice work, but they didn't seem to interested in doing anything for this Mitsubishi motor when we contacted them. Might have to try & talk them into it.