Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3.5 LITER 3KGT?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Default 3.5 LITER 3KGT?????

I haven't heard of these before but when i was looking for a new engine I saw that you can put a 94-96 Montero 3.5 DOHC non turbo engine in a 3kgt its that true?? good or bad idea?? I don't know just wanting to know

http://www.enginesus.com/ejsp/items....hi&engineid=37

Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Default RE: 3.5 LITER 3KGT?????

yeah you can but its a dumb idea the 6g72 is an amazing engine why replace it?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmitsusrock

yeah you can but its a dumb idea the 6g72 is an amazing engine why replace it?
Dude I like you but you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. The 6G74 is ALMOST a drop in powerplant. From the JDM Debonaire it will drop right in. From a Montero it takes a little work. The 6G72 is great, sure, but the 6G74 is everything the 72 is and more. Same design and nearly using the same parts. The crank and rods are different (better on the 6G74 as well), but the heads and pistons are IDENTICAL. The NA 6G72 pushes an OVERRATED 222 HP in the 2gen (more like 210 in the 1gen) and the 6G74 pushes 260 HP and 270 TQ at the crank. So to answer that INCREDIBLY lame question as to "why replace it?" the answer is simple, because you CAN and its more powerful! Its even a good option for TT guys if you change out the pistons. But that engine is MAINLY for the NA guys out there. Yes I have done EXTENSIVE research on the powerplant, no I dont have one YET, YES I will get one as soon as I sell my FWD TT. Yes I am selling a TT conversion in favor of going NA 3.5. Hope that helps anyone out.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM

dude there is a hell of alot more aftermarket support for the 6g72tt, im just saying 300hp...why the hell would anyone want to swap a 6g72tt for a 3.5 NA v6? for a heavier motor that is harder to find parts for?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 PM

i can understand the NA 6g72... just not if anyone wanted to swap the 6g72tt for it.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 PM

dude there is a hell of alot more aftermarket support for the 6g72tt, im just saying 300hp...why the hell would anyone want to swap a 6g72tt for a 3.5 NA v6? for a heavier motor that is harder to find parts for?
OK so I will just answer this like you are seriously curious about learning something. 1st thing, NOT EVERYONE want to be TT. Tahts been a HUGE topic of disuccion on 3si and we dont need to make it topic here. I AM TT and I dont want it any more. I am opting for NA 3.5 over the 3.0 TT. For nothing else, its DIFFERENT. ALSO, if your car is TT already, swapping the 3.5 is a HUGE power gain. If you are NA already, swapping the 3.5 vs. TT is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to do and is more reliable. Doing a complete 6G72TT swap into an NA will cost a MINIMUM of $3500, and thats if you have the ability to do a LOT of the work yourself. There is a lot of work involved in that swap. The 3.5 swap requires NO modification to the car itself and all you ahve to buy is the ENGINE! $1500-$1800 online. Drops in, runs on the stock ECU. The aftermarket support is the same as the 6G72 as the engine is VIRTUALLY identical to each other. So once again, the 3.5 is a better option for the NA guys on a budget than the TT conversion. OK so if you have questions about how this works I would be happy to help out.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 PM

please dont insult my intelligence i reallise it is a good idea for NA but do you understand that you will always be able to make more power with boost then NA. all i am saying is you can get more power through a boosted 6g72tt(or single turbo upgrade mind you) then an NA 6g74 that is all i am saying i just dont think it would be worth it to go from boost to NA(not to many people do that) i reallise it is just trying to be different and that is cool but do not insult me, im trying to make this a simple discussen becouse argueing on the enternet is a stupid waste of time.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 AM

It would work for me since my car is na and I don't the money for a TT conversion and the 2 engines the 3.0 and 3.5 cost the around the same I have seen the 3.5 cheaper then the 3.0 and it has more power so it seems like a good option yeah the engine its heavier don't know how much but has more power so it won't be such a problem

Old 08-10-2006, 02:44 AM

please dont insult my intelligence i reallise it is a good idea for NA but do you understand that you will always be able to make more power with boost then NA. all i am saying is you can get more power through a boosted 6g72tt(or single turbo upgrade mind you) then an NA 6g74 that is all i am saying i just dont think it would be worth it to go from boost to NA(not to many people do that) i reallise it is just trying to be different and that is cool but do not insult me, im trying to make this a simple discussen becouse argueing on the enternet is a stupid waste of time.
Like I said in my first post, I like you. I dont have a problem with you, but your statement was " its a dumb idea the 6g72 is an amazing engine why replace it?" and that is just a HORRIFYINGLY ignorant statment on all levels. Here is my reason, with lower compression pistons, the 3.5 is a GREAT option for more power on a TT car...and its a cheaper replacement than a used OEM 6G72TT motor. For NA guys its a GREAT upgrade for less money then going TT. And its all relative...sure you can get more power TT vs. NA...but when it costs $1500 for a LOT better base and more power NA and $3500 to get the TT stuff converted...at what point is it out of hand? Look man, I am not hating on you, you seem like a real nice guy, but I have read a lot of your posts and your knowledge is still being gathered. Your statement was just misinformed and misleading and I offer only information I have. I mean no disrespect and I try not to argue on the internet. Its not worth the stress. Oh and my choice to go NA vs. TT is PURELY to prove something to people that everyone says CANT be done. So i will do it. Thats why. I will say this though...Twin Turbo on 10:1 compression is a LOT of fun.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:03 AM

well i called it a dumb idea becouse sorry i didnt specify but i thought you were saying its a better option to replace the 6g72tt with a the 3.5l one i was just thinking with that money you could build up the 6g72tt. i guess i didnt fully reallise you were talking about the NA 6g72 so i appologise for not paying enough attention

Quick Reply: 3.5 LITER 3KGT?????