Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000GT SL to VR-4 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Default 3000GT SL to VR-4 Engine Swap

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>Wassup everyone!! I got an SL a little while ago, cross drilled rotors, performance clutch, lightweight flywheel, new brake pads, JDM Bomex body kit, blah blah blah...Neways I found a VR-4 Engine, and was wondering, what will I need in order to swap this engine into the SL?</FONT></P>

Old 01-12-2004, 09:28 PM

not to sound cocky but</P>

ALOT</P>

vr4 is all wheel drive and a twin turbo i have done vr4 engine swaps in vr4"s and almost broke what all men need to drive one of those cars</P>

lot's of tight fits and plenty of work involved</P>

Rick</P>

Old 01-13-2004, 11:47 PM

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>Aiite, A VR-4 swap to an SL should be fine...at least from what I've been told. In VA theres a place around here...well maryland Altered Atmosphere and they said that the swap was fine, even if the VR-4 tranny is all wheel drive. The word that I've heard from many is that it will swap pretty easily. Minus some little extras, such as the intercooler, motor mounts, etc. But im tryin to find out if anyone here has done it, and what Im going to need/expect in order to make it work. peace</FONT>

Old 01-14-2004, 07:15 PM

<FONT color=green size=4> Nah dude... It's ALOT of work and ALOT of money. Just not worth it in the end, especially if you plan to ever mod it. Once you start putting that kind of HP tothe 3/SFWD platform, your asking for constant issues. I got a buddy who owns a shop and made his ES in to a TT conversion. Nothing but problems, once he boosted the HP. Broken motor mounts, CV's, tranny, etc. That things hardly ever running for all the $$$ he has invested. </FONT><FONT color=#008000 size=4>It's a FACT that it's both cheaper and wiser to just sell the SL and buy a 1st or early 2nd gen TT, if you MUST have a TT 3/S car.</FONT></P>

Old 01-14-2004, 08:51 PM

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>Aiite, so it might be a lot of money, what about a single turbo?? I found that they run ilke 6 g's total, but again from what I've heard the single turbo will work very well. Think a good idea?</FONT>

Old 01-14-2004, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by AutoX
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>Aiite, so it might be a lot of money, what about a single turbo?? I found that they run ilke 6 g's total, but again from what I've heard the single turbo will work very well. Think a good idea?</FONT>
</P>

<FONT color=green size=3>That's prolly a better idea, but how much HP you trying to get out of the car? If you look hard enough, you can get an early 1st gen VR4 for like $8,000 or so...so is it worth dumping $6,000 in that car for a single turbo upgrade? There are MANY things to consider first.First pick out a single turbo kit and figure out just how much FWHP it will provide as compared to a VR4. Simple right? Not really.....along with speed, comes the need to stop the car alot better! So now your going to have to invest in either a big brake kit (at LEAST $1,500) orget some 2nd Gen VR4calipersfor your car. Simple right? Not really...If ya do that, your wheels wont fit anymore, and your available selection of aftermarket wheels just got cut down to about 12 choices, if your lucky!I'm also thinking your high HP FWD car isnt going to move real well out of the hole, withoutan LSD installed. (at LEAST $1,000 with no labor)</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#008000 size=3> Bottom line...to make it streetable with good HP and for it to be SAFE to drive at those speeds, you would have to invest WAY more than you can think of right now. Once you get in to the car for that much money, your will either have to keep it for life, or take one hell of a beating when you sell it. Not sure about you, but I'm not trying to GIVE my loot away! There are guys with 1st and 2nd gen VR4's,that are modded well in to the $ 50,000 range, and would be lucky to get $25,000 TOTAL back in a sale or trade. (depending on the year of the car) My buddy's ES will NEVER be sold, because he would lose HALF of the money he has in to it, and he's just not willing to do that.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=green size=3>I wish you luck if you go through with it, but to me, you'd be a fool. Not to even mention the fact, it prolly wont ever be any faster than a high 11 orlow 12 second car. Buy a car that's already built for speed, and mod it up. Buy an SRT4 for $23,000...best "bang for the buck" out there, and you'd have a brand new car! A few grand in mods, and you will be in themid to low12's quickly. Sheeeet...to get a 3800 pound VR4 consistantly in to the mid 11's, your talking about spending $8,000 to $10,000 easy. The way I see it, you'd havespent ALL that loot, and it's always going to be an SL no matter what, you feel me? </FONT></P><edited><editID>93VR4nPhilly</editID><editDate>38000.9134259259</editDate></edited>

Old 01-15-2004, 01:25 PM

I feel ya on that, but the thing is, I don't race 1/4 miles...yea street racing I f**k around w/ people, and IF i do go 1/4 street or track then I use the cobra... but I race the 3000GT in autocross events and I got the SL because of the fact that it wasn't AWD. Im guessin you know a lot from what you've told me, but if you have an AWD car it puts you into a whole different class of racers, and Id rather race w/ other cars instead of Evo's/STI's. So in autox I don't need a TON of power, I need more suspension s**t, but of course I want a decent amount of power. Thanks for the reply def. a lot of thigns learned

Old 02-25-2004, 06:50 PM

good idea but it wil cost alot. youll needa change engine mounts, and suspension</P>

so youll needa have a lot of cash</P>

Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 AM

Get a supercharger. Thomas Knight Turbo makes a supercharger for the 3si n/t's. The supercharger will probably give you better performance for auto-x since you won't have lag and it may be a few pounds lighter than a turbo.</P>

Orstay NA and get a 3.8l diamante block, 3.5" gm maft, fuel mods and ignition, Custom "sized" exhuast, and thinner head gasket for higher CR. I'm guessing that all that will give *atleast* 300hp crank if the CR is above 10.8:1 Plus you'll have the response of a NA engine. Can't beat that. </P>

If you got money to waste, do the mid-engine swap. Might be a different class, but who knows, it might be better to have a supercharged mid-engined v6, or 300hp NA mid-engine v6.</P>

Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Default vr4 in a sl

well i have a vr4 but the frame is twisted but all of the drive train is good i need to know if my engine tranny the whole drve train will fit in a sl i got underneath an sl and it looks like it has the mounts but i wanna know before i try

Quick Reply: 3000GT SL to VR-4 Engine Swap