Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Chirps and locust Engine noise when Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Default Chirps and locust Engine noise when Idle

1994 3000gt stockwith good rebuilt engine new sparks,timing belt, etc

Recently this month when turning the steering wheel it makes screetches. So i checked my power steering fluid and it was out. I had to put new power steering fluid inevery week and it would still screetch when turning the wheel.

Today when drivingI noticed the noise and the noise comes when my car is not in gear and whenI just have my engine on Therewasanasty engine noise.Itsounds like the timing belt is torn and is eating the engine, But its not my timing belt. IT sounded like bird chirps every time its idle. And it really does sound like a locuston the driver sidewhen im at a stoplight.

The noisewasLoudand thenalso sometimes it doesnt make that noisefor a little while. It also sounds exactly like a broken timing belt on a enginethat is still trying to rotate.

I dont think its engine tick because i saw a video of a 3000gt with engine tick on youtube.
IT doesnt sound like that ticking noise, But it sounds exactly like some kind of belt or something with pulleys getting eaten up?( it feels like its eating up something too)

My car still drives and i drove itforthe past2 days and still goingwith this problemandmy car never didmake this noise when im on the highway or driving, it only makes it when my car is idle.

Is my power steering out or something? Or powersteering pump , or POWER STEERING DRIVE BELT,

(I think thenoise is coming from the front passenger side of the engine)

THANK YOU

Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Default RE: NASTY ENGINE NOISE WHEN IDLE .. please help

i wouldnt drive the car anymore until you fix what is wrong.

was the entire engine rebuilt or just the top end?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Default RE: NASTY ENGINE NOISE WHEN IDLE .. please help

sounds like your water pump is going out.