Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

VR-4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Default VR-4 Conversion

I have a 95 3000GT base model with just over 143K miles and am looking to do a swap as soon as late this summer. Has anybody done this swap? I know i wont have all the goodies that the VR-4's have, but my gt will be a little lighter as well. I plan on buying a front clip so i will have all the wiring and goodies, and i know i will need an upgraded fuel pump, but what else will I need. Will my base ecu work, Will my stock tranny hold up? If anybody knows about this any info would help, I kinda want to keep my car because it is in such great shape. I also found a Supercharger made by Thomas Knight, which would be cheaper, goes for $4800, but only makes about 80hp, and on a high mileage engine who knows how well it would hold up.

Daniel K
3000GT base

Old 02-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Default RE: VR-4 Conversion

I don't know much about the swaps but I think the reason you're not getting any responses for this question is basically because it's impossible. Or at least almost. For the amount of money you're going to spend on a full conversion you would be stupid not to just go pick up a good used vr-4. That's just my opinion, like I said I'm no 3s guru, but there is alot going on in that conversion. FWD to AWD, first off, but I know for a fact the tranny and ecu will be replaced along with an uncountable amount of other things. You say your car is in great shape, clean it up, put a for sell sign on it and be patient. They're great looking cars and people are always approaching me about mine. After it's sold you'll be well on your way to buying a used vr-4.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:24 PM

a full conversion is going to cost you more than a VR4...

For starter an engine swap will run for about 3-5K (including engine). If you are going to go awd... you need the awd tranny (at least 3k if you get lucky and find one) and then you also need to find a broken down vr4 or stealth rt tt with a working AWD system (2k). then you need to find a Transfer case... good luck with that... and well start putting everything together... oh... and no the base ecu doesnt work. the same goes for the clutch, radiator, and well pretty much a lot of other things... by the time its done the money invested will be a lot higher than the price of a good vr4.

Another thing you can do is buy a broken VR4... and fix it... that would be a lot cheaper than building a vr4 out of a base... I seen vr4s with spun bearing selling for 2-5k depending on the year... you can fix that with 2-5K also... so for 10K (worse case) you can have a good working vr4 with a new or rebuild engine...

PS: you can also just add N20 to your car right now and make it a little more fun... $500
or you can always turbo o supercharge it... 2-3K it may not be as great off the line as a vr4, but from a roll it will def be a fast car! hell I seen fwd tts beat a stock vr4 from a roll...

anyway... best of luck...

D.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:54 PM

wow, lotta hate twards the vr-2 swap, it can and has been done, many base 3000gt owners have done a twin turbo converson on their cars and just had it be fwd, you can do that for around 2100, youd need to upgrade the fuel system and get a tt ecu, also you would need to tap the pan for the oil feed lines for the turbos, but if you can find a wrecked vr4 with a complete motor you can pick all the parts off of that , that you would needon average of everyone that does that swap its around 2500 with no upgraded anything good luck

Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 PM

thanks for the info, i think im gonna put mine up for sale and look for a VR-4 instead, i test drove one the other day and i was pretty impressed. I found a local one that looks and drives great, but it is a 94 with 184,000 miles!!! they want $8,900 for it. I personally don't
care for that much mileage, how do the TT engines hold up?

Daniel K

Old 03-21-2005, 12:01 AM

That car is worth like 1000$ tops...lol Ive seen full vr-4 conversions go for as much as $12-15k; so just try to sel your car, and then buy a vr4; you should be able to find one with 80-100k miles for under 8-10k; people want, and some pay way too much for these cars esp with high mileage

Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 AM

JUST BUY A DECENT VR4 for around 6500-8000 and call it good!

Old 04-25-2005, 08:02 PM

I SOMEHOW I found my '99 3000gt about a year ago, and I have been looking into A LOT of things to do to it. I order a subscription from modified mag, and there was a 1991 3kgt with a '99 conversion and a lot of goodies. I did a little research and this car belongs to a guy named Brian LaFuente. This man owns his own business. I started talking to him about my base model, and he said there are 2 things to do to it to make it have a major horsepower gain. (1) is to buy the SOHC supercharger kit *$4,500* or do a DOHC conversion *$5,000* If you do the conversion, your car will only be FWD not AWD because the suspension and drivetrain are going to cost WAY too much and will be VERY hard to find (as stated before in earlier posts) ALSO, you can not simply "swap heads" because the water sleeves do not match up. This man has hired some employees that really know what they were doing He has someone who is working for him that could not find the codes for a Ferrari ECU, so he took (2) Infinity Q45 *V-6* ECU's and wired them up in tandem to work in this Ferrari V-12 motor. There were significant horsepower gains by doing this. These people really know what they are doing. Go to gtpro.com to check out the site and ask ANY questions that you may have. They not only know mitsubishi, but they are familiar to most imports too. Anyways, I think I am going to give up modifying it and pay my car off so I can buy a Lexus IS300 and put a TT kit on the existing MK IV supra motor.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:21 PM

Yes just buy a vr-4 youll be happy i did it and boy am i happy. i got mine with 89000 miles and it was only 8100 so it can be done. Patience is the key.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:11 PM

You need to add Hans ertle on facebook or go to 3s warehouse I believe.. I've seen a green vr4 on there

Quick Reply: VR-4 Conversion