Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi 3000GT (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-3000gt-12/)
-   -   Headlight Fading/Disassembly? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-3000gt-12/headlight-fading-disassembly-20486/)

shooterclay 07-15-2007 08:07 PM

Headlight Fading/Disassembly?

i was pretty sure i saw info on here before about taking the headlight assemblies apart to clean the inside of the glass and to repaint the colored part but i cant find it anymore.it had something to do with heating up the seal i think. can someone please point me in the right direction? i have a '94 that we're changing from red to black. thanks..

ictponder 07-15-2007 11:15 PM

RE: Headlight Fading/Disassembly?

I believe its 350 for 20 -40 seconds to heat up the glue enough to separate the lens from the chassis. Are you sure you just dont need to restore the acrylic lens? That's much easier ie: wet sanding and polishing to get rid of the foggy lens and scratches.

shooterclay 07-15-2007 11:41 PM

this one has the glass lenses/covers. they're not scratched but they do have some kind of film on the inside and i'm painting the car black (it's red now) and need to repaint the red part of the headlite black.

how do you heat it up to 350?

Kaede.Noir 07-15-2007 11:45 PM

Oven, shrinking wire gun, creativity is your best bet :) (wooo, first semi-usable post in the 3000gt section of the forums hahaha)

underpressure2003 07-16-2007 12:04 AM

i saw some thing on ebay bout that u pay about 250 or 350 dollars u send them ur light or they send u a product and it repairs ur headlights it looks promising but i dont know about sending in my headlight no way but i want to do the same so info will help thank ya

thestealth 07-16-2007 10:56 AM

You heat them in the oven until the glue is soft enough to separate the lens from the housing. That's about all I know on the subject.

shooterclay 07-25-2007 07:31 PM

well the heat gun worked andthey actually came apart pretty easily. it's gonna be a pita to get all the black sealer cleaned up tho. turns out the glass was just coated with some kind of film on the inside that a good soak and scrub with windex seems to be taking care of pretty easily. now off to the painter so the headlites can catch up with the car.

anyone know what the black stuff is and where to get it to reseal these back up with?

thanks for the help!

ictponder 07-25-2007 10:45 PM

I've heard that glass adhesive works great, same stuff you seal a windshield with.

thestealth 07-26-2007 09:39 AM

Do a search for Sika windshield adhesive. Sika is the brand that most autoglass companies use.