Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Help on turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Default Help on turbo

I'm new to all this stuff and about 3kgt. I just recently bought one in february and know nothing about it. I'm pretty much clueless. It's a base model 3kgt. I was wondering what is all the things that are require to have with a turbo. I plan on turbo charging it. I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to cars and I'm somewhat clueless still. So can anyone help me on what are all the stuff i need for a turbo. My friend gave me a 15g turbo but I don't know how to install it and I also don't know all the requirement for it. So can somebody help?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Default RE: Help on turbo

hey. i was thinking about turbocharging my 1993 base model. after a lot of research i realized that it was a horrible idea. base model 3000gt's have a 10:1 compression with their engines. add a turbo and you'll just make it higher. even on low boost you'll blow the engine extremely easily. also you have cast pistons, not forged. the extra heat being made from the turbo will melt them down extremely quickly. so basically youre gonna eventually have to drop in a whole new engine. which can be expensive, especially for labor because you have to find someone who knows how to work on 3kgt's. i wouldnt reccomend turboing the car because you'll end up paying a lot of money for custom work that has to go into it as well. you'd be better of just using the money you would use for the turboing and just buy a vr4. base and sl model 3000gt's just arent made to be turbocharged, and there's not much to do to mod them without spending a s**y load of money on custom work. if you want, check out www.3sx.com. theyre all about 3000gt's and dodge stealth's and will answer any of youre questions. they also have a lot of good parts to buy for our cars. i bought my 3000gt stock and so far have installed headers, test pipe. underdrive crank pulley, and injen intake. i've noticed a huge amount of performance in my car already. check it out on my profile. but take it from someone who's researching turbocharging a 3000gt for over 3 months. it's not a good idea.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:15 AM

If you kept the boost at wastegate pressure, I bet the engine would hold up better than you'd think.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:46 AM

First check your local smog laws and your insurance policy. Most states outlaw "add on" turbos so it won't pass smog next time, and many insurance carriers refuse to insure "add on" turbos even though they insure factory turbos all day long. Unless you are a good fabricator, the exhaust system is a real challenge. The fuel system is even trickier. Get the HP book Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes. It is old and doesn't cover EFI, but it is technically correct, there is a lot of false info out there. I wrote the intercooler chapter, and there is a picture of my old twin turbo Porsche in the book as well. I also helped design the Banks engine on the cover. Look before you leap. A single 15G turbo is probably too small anyway, turbo 3000GT's use two slightly smaller turbos.Lastly, if a turbo is free, it is probably shot, have it checked out first.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 AM

I have a Base-TT. I twin turbo'd it myself. You need to go to www.3si.org and sign up there because that is where you will find the info you need. I even have a TT conversion thread documenting my process. Don't let these people fool you. TT'ing your 10:1 is not a problem. You will just need to be more careful on the tune. You can run quite a bit of boost if you have a good tune. Shoot there are people on there with their 10:1 TT conversions running 14psi daily for 2+years with no probs and 93 pump gas. It is all in your tune and how much you want to push the envelope. You should easily be able to run 8psi or even 10psi like me. So yea don't give up on the idea. Just realize that it is quite a bit more expensive than you prob think. If you want a "good" safe "dot your i's and cross your t's" TT conversion, expect to pay about 2500 or so in parts. Upgraded turbos like I have will make things more expensive. All in all it is worth it though and it is pretty cool because not many people have it.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 PM

What's up Mr.3000

Yeah definately go to www.3si.org and signup and read Mr.3000's thread it's badass with lots of pics. I plan on TT my NA as well, but I'm gonna save up about 8 - 10 grand so I can buy new parts and spare no expense.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Dang son 8-10K? Yours is gonna be the shiz!!