Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

might buy an sl but need input?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Default might buy an sl but need input?

Alright, so I really want to buy this 1992 SL and it's in good shape but the engine blew a rod. I keep getting mixed responses on what I should do...rebuild the engine or buy a new engine? The service manager at the dealership I work at told me that with a blown rod in the 3.0 n/a engine it probably did a lot more damage and I'd be better off looking for a new engine. Is this true?

Also, I can't afford to spend a lot of money putting a new engine or rebuilding an engine. I got some quotes for new engines and Jasper was the most expensive at $4000 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and the least expensive was a shop by my house at $1450 and $600 to take out the old engine and $600 to put in the new one. The shop by my house said the use a Japanese importer for the engines and the engines should only have about 25k miles on it being that cars in Japan with over a certain number of miles are taxed higher or something like that. Another shop told me to be careful of that because sometimes places will scam customers and claim the engine is from Japan but it could really be from a junk yard in the US and they just powerwash it and the customer has no idea how many miles are on it. Any input on this at all?

The average cost for engines I've found are about 3 grand. I will not pay that much for an engine. Are the less expensive ones on E-bay any good?

Thanks...all input is appreciated.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Default RE: might buy an sl but need input?

im not experienced with the ebay engines, but i can direct you to a forum that you'll love! www.florida3s.com

even though your not in florida, these guys are so awesome and will help you out with anything.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM

for a 92 SL... you're better off passing on the car.

To pay for a rebuilt engine, and install... will be more expensive than the car itself.

You're in western, NY? Where abouts?

I have a 92 twin turbo for $4500, runs and drives perfectly. Save yourself the headache of someone else's mess. If you don't have experience with these cars, buy one that runs.

J-Spec engines are hit and miss. We've never had any luck with them here at our shop, and refuse to work with them (we specialize in 3000GT's and Stealth's). I had a j-spec trans imported for one of my cars, problems with that as well. stick with buying a car that runs. You're going to have more headaches than just an engine, I can guarantee it.

-Em

Old 05-04-2008, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Girly VR4

for a 92 SL... you're better off passing on the car.

To pay for a rebuilt engine, and install... will be more expensive than the car itself.

You're in western, NY? Where abouts?

I have a 92 twin turbo for $4500, runs and drives perfectly. Save yourself the headache of someone else's mess. If you don't have experience with these cars, buy one that runs.

J-Spec engines are hit and miss. We've never had any luck with them here at our shop, and refuse to work with them (we specialize in 3000GT's and Stealth's). I had a j-spec trans imported for one of my cars, problems with that as well. stick with buying a car that runs. You're going to have more headaches than just an engine, I can guarantee it.

-Em
i'd have to agree with that, but also - if you dont have the money to be putting a lot of work into a car, dont buy a 3000gt. Our cars require a lot of maintenance and its not cheap, even sl's or bases.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 PM

I'm in Tonawanda, NY. Girly VR4, I'm interested in your twin turbo too depending on how far you are.

He's asking a grand for the non running car. I just kind of figured I might be better off with that because I'd get a rebuilt engine put in and I'd know the engine was good rather than buy a running 3000GT and risking that it could be beaten or not maintained. I'd hate to pay 4500 for a car and havethe engine blow, ya know?

vr4girl, you said that the 3000's require a lot of maintence, just curious what you meant?I'm up to my eyes in student loan debt so no, I don't have tons of money, but I'm doing alright for myself. I just can't be dealing with a maticulous car that needs attention like a BMW. I'm just looking for a sporty and decently quick second car.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:36 AM

parts for vr4s are more expensive than bimmers. lol and they are kinda like them. i hate to turn someone against them, but for a college student, its not a responsible thing to do.. because its not a reliable car. at all.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 AM

I graduated from college already, I just have the bills to pay for it now, lol. I wasn't looking to buy the car as reliable transportation, just a fun second car. This is getting agrivating, this is the second type of vehicle I've looked to buy and after researching it found out it might be a bad decision.....Granted the first was a Cadillac and is still a GM product....

Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Whatever you do, don't buy a motor off of ebay. From everyone that I know of that has, its a seise motor or missing parts. I've bought 3 motors from these guy that get there motors from japan at you stated. www.osakajdmmotors.com I just bought one for my 92 3000GT SL and it was $950 including shipping and the motor looked great and runs prefect. How much is the car?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 AM

The carfax seems clean, but I guess I can't tell if it was beaten by that really. The only thing on there that's odd is a really big gap in information that was reported.

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...mp;language=EN

Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 AM

The car is $1000

Quick Reply: might buy an sl but need input?