Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

noise coming from trans or bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Default noise coming from trans or bell housing

Ok so here it gose i need all input i can get. Its not my car its a buddies so i am not to familuer with the 3000gt's, and he has requested my help. The car is a 94'ish and its an DOHC i think w/ and auto trans. The problem is is that when u start the car up there is a clanking noise around the trans area. I let it warm up and it stayed consistant then cycled it threw the gears and it clankes a little while giving it some gas in each gear but got quiet when i gave it more gas. (went from P to R to N and so on). I then decided to take it down the road and see how it preformed. when i got on it it shifted through the gears deacently and at an approiate rpm range (ran it up to approx. 90 mph). when i slowed down to a cruzing speed at approx 60 i was turning around 3,500 rpm. I played with the O/D button and still stayed in low gear and would not take O/D. I am now in the process of pulling the trans and i can say that i think the front seal is gone due to trany fluid leaking from the bell housing. I would still like some input even though i am pulling it out since i have been told some others that it could be the flex plate or the torque converter.

HELP!!!!!!!

P.S. I dont do auto's i hate them with a purple fuzzy passion. so i am kinda lost when it come to them but i do know the basics. All i feel they are good for is bracket racin due to ther consistancy.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Ok, i take it no one in here knows that this is a forum. I thought that in a forum a person could post a question then other people could give some input back. Well i just wanted to say thanks for the input on this matter and i hope this forum FALLS due to the fact that another forum has assisted me and has put in a cornucopia of input!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM

it is a forum maybe no one had an answer. i wasnt part of this when you posted. but you are correct it could be the torque converter, flex plate main seal. any of the syncros in the tranny or all of the above. your best bet is to take it to a tranny shop and have them measure for spec on all of the syncros and just give it a good looking over. unless you are a tranny tech and know all the the measurements to code and have very accurate calipers and micrometers i doubt you can check all that. i just had something similar done to my montero tranny. if you need to replace a lot or get a remanufactured one it will cost around 700-1700 hope that helps