Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi 3000GT (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-3000gt-12/)
-   -   Overheating @ idle (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-3000gt-12/overheating-%40-idle-18564/)

Silvertooth 05-01-2007 10:32 PM

Overheating @ idle

"I'm having trouble with coolant leakage in my '96 3000GT SL. Decided to put in a leak stop, but after running the engine for ten minutes from a cold start, the upper radiator hose is very hot, whilst the lower one is completely cold. Would it be the thermostat or the pump? In addition to this, there was coolant puddled on top of the transmission. I'm not sure, but it appeared to be flowing out from and across the inlet water pipe, which is between the engine and the plenum, making it impossible to see the actual leak, only the outward flow.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated, as I'd rather not spend a grand having a shop take care of it. That being said, if push comes to shove, we have a deal with the Mitsubishi dealership off of Brookdale blvd, don't we?"

Edit: All right, brought it to the shop, they took care of everything...there was a leak in one of the hoses, and a leak around the water pump. Now the car runs perfectly when driving, which I suppose is a good thing. However, they told me that although it's fine driving, when it idles, it overheats. They drained/flushed the system, put in a chemical to try and unclog the system (thinking the leak stopper I had previously used might have done too good of a job), but it still overheats at idle. Anyone have any ideas? Faulty thermometer, or a whole new radiator? *sighs* This whole week has been crap so far, lol...

Silvertooth 05-04-2007 10:06 PM

RE: Overheating @ idle

Bump

thestealth 05-04-2007 11:27 PM

Are the fans kicking on?

Silvertooth 05-04-2007 11:33 PM

I'm not sure, I haven't seen the car for a couple days. But before, yes, the fans were kicking on after five minutes of idling.

turbosprentice 05-05-2007 12:50 AM

i also have a question myself. when i hit the highway my oil temperature (the middle dash) it keeps going up until it's about 5 keys or so away from the H which stands for high. is this a common thing for gt? and another question, does both fan in the front spin at the same time? because only the one that is towards the driver side is spinning and i don't know why the second isn't. any help is apprieciated.

Silvertooth 05-06-2007 03:41 AM

Everything is fixed, it's all good.

94 3kgt sl 05-06-2007 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: turbosprentice

i also have a question myself. when i hit the highway my oil temperature (the middle dash) it keeps going up until it's about 5 keys or so away from the H which stands for high. is this a common thing for gt? and another question, does both fan in the front spin at the same time? because only the one that is towards the driver side is spinning and i don't know why the second isn't. any help is apprieciated.
im pretty sure that the middle guage on the dash is for oil pressure not oil temp. and yes it is normal for when you press the gass the oil pressure guage to go up and when you come to a stop it will go way back down to low. its normal...i think. lol. nah i think ur fine.

Silvertooth 05-06-2007 11:07 AM

Yeah, he's fine.

And five keys away from H is still between the L and the H isn't it? The pressure level should be absolutely a'ight.

turbosprentice 05-06-2007 11:52 PM

alright thanks.. i wasn't sure because my other cars doesn't do this.. only my gt so i was just curious incase something is wrong..
[align=center] [/align]

Silvertooth 05-07-2007 08:26 AM

It's all right, man. Ain't not thang.