Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

TT conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Default TT conversion?

Does anyone know of any websites or members that have done the twin turbo converson on a base model 94 that have posted pictures and a list of steps for the project? if you know of any it would be greatly apriciated, thanks for the help -Pete

Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Default RE: TT conversion?

3si FWD forced induction forum

There have been many TT conversions done by members at 3si.org.
Most have had great results. I have not done it so I do not have first hand knowledge, but if you dig around awhile in the link above, you should be able to find all you need. This is "some" of the stuff I know you'll need.
Having a donor car would be the best bet, but here you go
Turbos (duh)
Exhaust manifolds and exhaust
TT oil pan (it has oil return line bungs in it)
TT motor mounts
Intercooler and piping (SMIC are stock or FMIC with aftermarket pipes)
ECU and wiring harness
Applicable guages
Some kind of LSD. (if you want any semblence of traction)

I know there are some things I missed or am unaware of. Search the forum I linked and all your answers should be answered.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:54 PM

There is a guy named Brian La Fuente who's 91 3000gt w/ a '99 conversion was in modified mag. He owns his own business. Him and his employees are crazy... I say that because they took 2 Infinity Q45 V-6 ECU's and wired them in tandem to work on a V-12 in a Ferrari. I asked Mr. Fuente how much it would cost for HIM to do this TT conversion, and he said that if I gave him $4,500-$5k he would do it. The only thing, is that you will have a front wheel drive car with a TT motor. He said that the only other way to get real horsepower is to put a supercharger kit on it, but it costs like $3,500. You might as well go with the TT motor. I own a '99, and when I finally realized what a dead end the base models are, I decided to either: 1) pick a '95-'97 VR-4 or 2)pick a new car to get major horsepower out of. I decided to keep my base model as a daily driver and get a 240sx (or S-14), but now I am looking at the Lexus IS300's. A family car powered by a MKIV Toyota Supra motor (2JZ) easily converted to for twin turbos. That is where I have gone with my opinion. Personally, I don't think the BASE models are worth the hassle if you want 400+ hosepower. They ARE great daily drivers though... If anyone disagrees with anything I just said, just say so, and hopefully you have another way to make some horsepower with these SOHC motors.

Jed Booth LCpl. USMC

Old 12-08-2004, 12:52 AM

I believe the Brian you speak of is the owner of GTPRO. They have made some pretty badass cars over the years.

I didn't realize your car was a SOHC. Now that I think about it, all 97 and earlier 3kgt's where DOHC. After 97 they introduced the base model with the SOHC. The Stealtths always had a base model (SOHC), ES and RT (DOHC) and RT/TT. but that is neither here nor there. I don't think you can convert your SOHC motor to a TT. You would need to swap motors out. They did not make alot of 99's so they are semi-rare (the 99 VR-4's are extremely rare)

Rippmods does have a SDS (supercharger) kit for SOHC cars. They are reputed to add around 80 or so HP.
RIPPMODS link

Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM

Thomas knight also makes a supercharger for the SOHC cars, i believe.

I never realized the 99's were so rare, but then again, i've never really seen a 99 3000gt. I thought the rarest ones were the spyder vr4's, but i can usually find 2 or 3 of them on autotrader or ebay selling at one time. This is somewhat off topic, but are there any aesthetic differences between the 97-98 and the 99's?

Old 12-08-2004, 04:30 PM

thomas knight does make a SC for the SOHC, but as was mentioned earlier, it will run ya about 3500 bucks, your better option would probly be the swap, the SC they have will add ~80 hp, but it is not a full blown supercharger, it is electric that has to be recharged and the install sounds like a major pain in the ***......... the site i found it on is thomasknightturbos.com

Old 12-08-2004, 04:58 PM

Actually the 96 TT Stealth is the rarest of all with only 57 being made. Only 287 VR-4 were made in 99. The biggest difference between the 96-98 and the 99's are the front clip, headlights (I think) and the spoiler. (on VR-4s)

Here is the LINK I got my information from.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM

I remember seeing a spoiler on a JDM GTO that resembled the Evo8 style spoiler. After i checked up on it, it was oem, but i didn't think they offered it in the U.S. Stealth, to your knowledge, has anyone in the US tried to do a mid-engine conversion?

Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 PM

All Stealth's had the banana spoiler stock.

Mid-engine conversion??? There was a GTO MR edition, but it was NOT mid engined. Same as the new EVO MR is not mid engined. That is a rumor that some foolish journalist put on his site without proper reasearch. The MR edition only had very minor differences from a regular GTO. Lightened wheels, no fancy gadgets (climate control, ecs, active aero/exhaust) and a slightly different ECU tune.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:07 AM

Yes, the difference between the 2nd gen and '99 is the headlight assembly (which I need a new one and it will cost $780) spoiler, front clip, AND the rear center brake light. I think the older center brake lights are better, but this is a way to distinguish the 2nd gen from 3rd gen. There are a few 97's and 98's that look like a 3rd gen (to a normal person) because some come with the 3pc. hoop spoiler. This pisses me off because my friend will say, "Hey man, I just saw a car just like yours" I will tell him that it was not; I have never seen another car like mine. But he never believed me until I went up to a 2nd gen and showed him the difference.

Quick Reply: TT conversion?