Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi 3000GT (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-3000gt-12/)
-   -   TURBOing a Naturally Aspirated 3000GT (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-3000gt-12/turboing-naturally-aspirated-3000gt-11629/)

supercharged3kgt 06-27-2006 02:14 PM

TURBOing a Naturally Aspirated 3000GT

I was wondering if i could just put a turbo in my car without any parts from the VR-4. i mean i dont want twin turbos or anything. i mean, if you could turbo any naturally aspirated car, cant you do the same to the SL or Base 3kgt?? i dont really know much about turboing anything so, any help or comments are apprieciated.

Sebba 06-27-2006 05:14 PM

RE: TURBOing a Naturally Aspirated 3000GT

The answer is no. You have to do quite alot to a car before turboing it safely

thestealth 06-27-2006 05:17 PM

With enough money...anything is possible.

Sebba 06-27-2006 05:34 PM

thats exactly what i always say lol

Jomojr 06-30-2006 03:05 AM

Yes you can turbo your NA 3000gt. There is a kit already made by mitsu. "if your engine is a DOHC"
Go to www.3SI.org and search unter the forced induction forums. there is lots of info there on the conversion. Many have done it, including me. The kit I speak of is the VR4. Pretty much all the components are bolt up. Check it out! Mine has been boosted for over 20k now and is still running great.

supercharged3kgt 06-30-2006 09:14 PM

Yes you can turbo your NA 3000gt. There is a kit already made by mitsu. "if your engine is a DOHC"
Go to www.3SI.org and search unter the forced induction forums. there is lots of info there on the conversion. Many have done it, including me. The kit I speak of is the VR4. Pretty much all the components are bolt up. Check it out! Mine has been boosted for over 20k now and is still running great.
really? sweet! umm where do i get these kits made by mitsubishi?? do they have a website or sumthin? or can i just go to a dealer and ask??

DeathCabForCutie 07-01-2006 03:20 AM

ORIGINAL: supercharged3kgt

really? sweet! umm where do i get these kits made by mitsubishi?? do they have a website or sumthin? or can i just go to a dealer and ask??
I highly doubt those kits are made by mitsubishi....im about 99% that its a custom job...so i doubt asking a dealer would help....jus google it if nothing else

Jomojr 07-01-2006 08:39 PM

The "kit" I was referring to was the fact that all the components you need to turbo a DOHC 3000gt were installed on the VR4 Twin Turbos from the factory. Most of the conversion from NA to Turbo is bolt up. Just swapping the parts from an old VR4 twin turbo to your NA. There is alot of work involved, and it can be expensive. But if you search for the parts used "but in good condition" you can Twin Turbo your Non-turbo 3000gt. It is of course more involved than I am describing. Here is a link to a forum on 3SI.org where you can find all the information you would need. Na to forced induction forums 3SI

You should register there and try and see if any other owners are in your area. You would be surprised how helpful the 3000GT community is.

Sebba 07-01-2006 08:47 PM

Is the compression the same with both engines?

Jomojr 07-02-2006 12:51 PM

No they arent. The VR4 motors are 8:1 The NA DOHC is a 10:1 motor.