Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Vr4 engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Default Vr4 engine tick

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 92 vr4. About a week after I got it I heard an engine tick when I started the car. After hearing the tick I saw that my oil pressure gauge isn't showing any pressure. When my car warmed up the tick almost vanished completely. If the tick wasn't there I would assume the gauge was busted, but since I have a tick i'm guessing that my oil pump is shot.

The reason i'm posting here is before I drop 1,000 bucks on replacing my oil pump, I want to see if you guys indeed think the tick is due to a shot pump. If it is my oil pump, is my car safe to drive until I change the pump or should it sit?

Thanks for the help

Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Default RE: Vr4 engine tick

the tick if from your lifters. try a lighter weight oil and go from there.

as far as your oil pressure guage is concerned, are you watching it while driving or while ideling. if when ideling then it is ok to see it look low bc it will rise when you start driving the car again.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Change your oil sounds like the lifters but has it been sitting for a while let it warm up and dont press the gas I know mine was doing that but I cahnged the oil quaker state 10-40 and a wix filter just try it if not counds like the lifters but good luck bro.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM

I'll try the lighter oil today. As far as the oil pressure goes the needle never moves now. I purchased a new oil pump, but have yet to install it.

The last time I changed my oil I added a quart of Lucas to it. Should I forgo it?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM

have you brought the car to a shop to have the pressure checked? could it possibly be just the guage and not the pump?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

There are oil additives that help this.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM

bring it to a shop that can check your oil pressure with an aftermarket gauge. If you suddenly lost oil pressure, and you hear a ticking or knocking noise from your engine... you're looking at replacing your entire bottom end of your engine... $2400 for a new block from the dealer, plus labor... figure 4k total, give or take if you buy a used engine.

If it's a light tapping/ticking noise coming from the "top" of your engine, it's your lifters. get used to it.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 AM

I switched to 5w30 and the ticking quiets faster now. It comes from the top of my engine, so I'm going to say it's my lifters. I'm going to have a shop check my oil pressure in a few days. If I don't have pressure then I can just put in the new pump thinking there wasn't time for damage. If it's the gauge I guess i'll ebay the pump since I can't return it. I refuse to listen to that ticking though, so I have been looking around for solutions.

I found some big bore lifters at: http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=12153

They look to be the right fix, and at $300.00 for 24 it doesn't seem badly priced. Just have to see how much the labor would be.

Thanks for the help guys and gals

Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

Before you do anything expensive. Why not try an oil additive? Sometimes they can make them softer and eliminate the ticking. I did it on the GST and it worked. It took about 200 miles to take effect but it never came back.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Having the oil pressure confirmed with a mechanical gauge should be #1 on your list of priorities.

How often do you change your oil? Synthetic?

Ticking lifters are really more of an annoyance than anything.

Quick Reply: Vr4 engine tick