Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Diamante (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-diamante-16/)
-   -   02 Diamante, Heater Core? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-diamante-16/02-diamante-heater-core-29920/)

ryan51173 11-03-2008 12:08 PM

02 Diamante, Heater Core?

I think I know the answer, but want to ask anyway. My windows recently will not defrost no matter what. The car is blowing hot air.I smell anti-freeze coming through the vents. I believe it's A/F, it smells like a sweet smell. I also notice no A/F in the reservoir.

1. Is it the Heater Core? ( I know it has a history w/ Diamante's)
2. I have time and patients. DoI need special tools to complete the (heater core replacement) job my self?
3. How well do the "Stop-Leak" products work?

Live in Buffalo, NY. Want to catch this now, rather than later.

Thanks!

jprimrose4292 11-04-2008 01:17 AM

RE: 02 Diamante, Heater Core?

Sounds like your heater core. The top of the core where the pipesgo intosound like they are loose. If it fails any other wayyou will have wateron the floor of the passenger side. I have never had to take my heater core out in any of my diamante's. but im pretty sure it is just a long task of taking most of the dash out to get to it.

ryan51173 11-04-2008 06:05 AM

J, thanks for the reply ! I'm going to do more research this weekend. I'll post what I find.

Manybrews 11-09-2008 07:45 AM

its not the core specifically, but rather the "o" rings that seal the heater core to the input/output nipples.

ryan51173 11-10-2008 07:29 AM

Manybrews,

Have you done the replacement? If so...
Is that something I can replacew/o dash removal? I see whereboth heater hoses go into the firewall by looking under the hood. Are the nipplesstubbed out far enough where I could replace them on that side of thefirewall (engine side), or doesthe dash stillneed to be removed to access the nipples?

I purchased a new(oem) H-core and two O-rings.If I have to get under the dash I might just replace everything. Key word would be might. If I can save over $259.00 for a $4.00 fix thats probaly the route I'll take.

Thanks again,
Ryan

mitsupartsman.com 11-10-2008 09:33 AM

the orings can be replaced without removing the h/core, you will need to move the a/c line to make room.

good luck :)

ryan51173 11-10-2008 11:07 AM

Thanks. This is going to be interesting.

ryan51173 11-14-2008 07:57 AM

Does anybody know the difference from the old heater core gasket/oring, from the new ones? They both look the same to me.
The heater Core itself apeared to be fine.A visual inspection does show proof that the coolant leaked from the bottom hose of my heater core. I also noticed that the #20 torx screws were not tight. On both the inlet and outlet of the heater core connectors.HMMMM.....
If anybody has knowledge on the O-rings such as, P/N or description from old to new. Let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

mitsupartsman.com 11-14-2008 09:11 AM

the new rings will be dark grey i think the original ones were beige

ryan51173 11-17-2008 08:06 AM

Mitsupartsman you are correct. I also noticed after taking a closer look the new ones have a bevel on both sides.

To update, I have succesfully change out the old rings and have installed the new ones. I found a procedure on how to do the 0-rings. The instructions I obtained are pretty good. They note that it's for changing the O-rings and not the heater core itself. The O-rings I purchased right from the dealer. P/N MR927776 which (accordingly to the dealer) supercedes P/N MR925655. They are $4.00 each in my neck of the woods. Several things to reccomend for the weekend warrior who decides to take this project on. TAKE YOUR TIME! I craked the plastic on the evaporater unit upon removal, whichI repaired w/ 2 part epoxy upon completion of the project. The big blunder that I have no problem admitting to, was that I didn't clean up any risidual coolant around the H/C. When you detach the pipes from the H/C to gain access to O-rings you have some coolant spill out. Well, I should have taken more time to dry that up.
I put most of the hardware back to test the O-rings and started the car. I noticed several drips, alot at first, the about 2 min later, a little drip. I figuredI wasn't getting offeasy and it was my H/C. So, off I want, removing parts from the driverside & dash to gain access to my H/C. After 1 hr. of removing parts and being extremely upset, I said to myself, maybe what you saw dripping was risdual coolant.I took a towel and cleaned up anything that resembled a drip on the floor. In went the key and the car ran for 20 min.. Low and behold no drips, hardly any coolant smell.So take the extra time to clean up the risdual coolant sorrounding the H/C. So, that added an extra 3hrs. removing and reinstalling parts to the driverside and the dash. I aslo, completly removed everything again.This allowed me tocompletely dried out the H/C and the H/C housing. I used 4 towels to soak up the coolant that was in the flr carpet. Well, I have to say I'm back in love w/ my Diamante.
Would like to note a couple of things to have. It helps to have alot of patience and be able to twist your body in positions you never thought you could be in.
Thanks for everyones help!