Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Default Advice Sought

Hi Folks,

I have been driving a Mazda 929 for 20 years. It is reaching the end of its useful life and I am considering a Diamante as a replacement.

Some general questions regarding years from say about 2001 to 2004:

How reliable are these cars when cared for properly?
What areas of concern should I look for?
Does it use a timing belt? Change interval?
Highway 70~75 mph, what kind of MPG can I expect?
Fuel type required?
Interior quality, how well do the bits hold together?

Working on them. If a timing belt, how difficult to change?
Overall availability of parts and service manuals?

I'm pretty adept mechanically, currently changing the heads on my 929 so general maintenance doesn't scare me much.

Overall, I like the looks of the car and from a 929 standpoint it is about the same size and probably comfortable too. I drive 100 miles a day so comfort is appreciated. The 929 isRWD, not so great in the winter so the Mitsu would improve on that too.

Thanks for any and all advice and tips.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Advice Sought

I own a 02" Diamante LS

I would love to share my opinions and knowledge of my 02" Diamante.

I bought mine used in May of 07". Purchased w/36450 milesfor $12,700. Int/ext wasin very good shape at time of purchase. Still is I might add. When I test drove it, I noticed it needed new rear brakes/rotors and 4 new tires which the dealer agreed. No problem! The day I pulled of the lot I received a handshake and a full tank of gas. The next day startingmy car. My fuel tank showed empty. Called the dealer and he stated it was a misunderstanding. Yeah right! The sending unit was replaced N/C. I believe they run between $450. to 600. part alone. The other thingI missed @ time of purchase was my engine temp gauge light was burned out. The gauge itself shows the correct engine temp.. Just can't see it at night.Not a big deal, never fixed.
(43,00m)Feb. of 08"- floored the Car to pass a slower carand blew a hole through the a rust spot on the muffler.Muffler from dealer not installed was qouted $850. Local muffler shop, $239.00 installed.

(47,000m) May08"I put on front pads and rotors.

(50,000m) Jun08" I installed a O2 sensor. Bank2 Sensor 1. From parts store Bosch $80.00.

(54,000m) Nov08" installed heater core O-rings $4.00each from dealer. Did the install myself. Not fun! You can view my post on this site.

I also been living w/ anABS Traction Control idiot light. This is intermitent and due to a bad wheel sensor. Has not yet been fixed. The light is off more than on. Haven't priced out the part yet either.

I gues next will be the timing belt @ 60,000m. It is stated as 60,000m interval. The engine which I was told several times is an interference engine. Timing belt goes, so does the engine. Never verified if that is true, or not.This task I will not perform myself. Also, @ 60,000m I'll attempt to change the plugs/wires. They installed platinum from the factory. The intake manifold has to be removed to get at the plugs.

Went from Buffalo, NY(A) to Myrtle beach, SC(B) in Mar. 08". I kept a pretty good handle of gas milage. Mywife canverify, she was awoken several times to write milage and gallons each gas stop. My overall avg. speed was around 72mph from pointA to point B. I avg. 27 MPG overall. I used 87 octane. I believe the car requires at least 91. Dont quote me on that, but it's definitly higher than 87. All I use is 87. oops!

Your basic parts (tires/brakes/pads)not a problem. I believe the wheel sensor will be a tough one to find. Can't find a Chiltons or any other manual to do serious work on the car. Found Documentation online for my Heater Core O-Ring replacement.

Overall, I love my Diamante. The car handles great, quit inside, love the dash and control layout in the car. LS comes pretty much loaded. Above avg. sound sytem also. Nothing has broken off inside the car yet.
If you are to get serious and buy a 2002 model from a car lot. Make sure you get an agreement from the dealer. That any Heater core issues will be covered. It's a big bill from the dealer to have it replaced , or even the O-rings replaced. Again, see my post in the Diamante section. This is a common problem w/ the 02", not sure about any other year. Also, I've seen several threads about the ABS/TCABS sensor. Hmmm....

My Dad ownes a 01" Diamante LS. Currently around 69,000m. He has gone through a transmission on his. I believe that was due to the fact he never maintained it/checking its fluid. It also needed bushings in the rearsuspension. Hereplaced his T-Belt around 63,000m. Everytime I check his oil it's low and its about 3000m overdue. Not good, but still runnin.

I probaly won't hesitate to purchase another Mitsu product. Just hope no time soon.
I was also told from a Mitsu. dealer the success of sales from the Galant, was what caused the halt in production of the Diamante. Not sure if that is true.

Well goodluck!