Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Default new shocks

just replaced the struts on my 2002 diamante vr-x. absolutely hate it. all over the internet it is suggested to get monroe sensa-trac's. i almost prefer the shot ones, atleast i didnt have to worry about body roll. anyway, i didnt come here to b*tch haha. anyone know if there is some way im missing that will allow me to tighten back up the suspension? or alteast what the correct replacement setup would be. it upsets me that such a great car was destroyed by an inappropriate suspension. thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2009, 08:50 AM

sounds like you already know what you need to do.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 AM

KYB GR2, although not a performance srut, is still a better choice than Sensacraps; OEM struts are KYB's. Konis for sport handling if you can figure out what part numbers to order. Whiteline Flatout front and rear sway bars along with front strut tower brace make a dramatic difference with handling. Stock sway bars are a joke. The Front sway bar is not easy to install but it is a very well engineered component and night and day with handling response with mine installed.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 PM

thanks for the replies guys, its appreciated. im not looking to further tune the car, just get back the stock ride quality, it was good enough for me....comfortable but still sporty enough. now this thing rolls more during turns than my 99 durango. either way, ill do some research and see what i come up with.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Seems odd that handling would get worse; I cannot imagine that body roll should change; did you do the work ? Did you get it aligned (properly_ after installation, as this is required. Also check the sway bar links. I had my alignment checked at NTB after buying new tires, and they screwed it up; it was fine before and the tech changed it so it was way off and handling was much worse. Firestone store fixed it up.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM

kinda curious to know why you replaced them in the first place.

OEM diamante struts generally last as long as you wanna own the car.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews

the two in the rear were shot, squeaking over every bump. when my mechanic changed em he said that he could barely get them compressed at all

Old 06-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews

Struts, shocks slowly wear out over time gradually, and for the most part do not just fail all at once. OEM are KYB (gas) if you look at the stamp on the strut housing and typically after 75- 100k they lose a good deal of the original performance, which also depends on the roads and driving conditions.

I hope you replaced the strut mounts too, old worn mounts on new struts will have adverse effects.