Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder For years, the Eclipse line has stood for cutting edge styling and performance at an affordable price.

2011 Eclipse GT Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Default 2011 Eclipse GT Burning Oil

I'm the original Owner of a 2011 Eclipse GT. Has the V6 3.8 L Engine in it. Power Moonroof Rockford Fosgate stereo.

I love the car and have owned it 7 years. My question is do I let it go? It has 65000 miles on it. (Low mileage for 7 years) But is showing signs of burning oil. I have the original manufacturers warranty of 10 year 100,000 mile on the powertrain.

I've talked to my local import dealership and they're currently having me do a test of measuring how much oil they added during the last oil change. Drive for a few thousand miles until it goes noticably lower on the dip stick then bring it back to see how much oil they have to add to top it off.

Then they'll complete the paperwork to get a warranty repair plan from Mitsubishi on what to do for it. My concern is since the engine is no longer produced, my guess is they would rebuild the top end of the engine (head gaskets, etc). Assuming they do, how long will the new ones last? I'm assuming beyond the warranty period, but will it start burning oil again in 30,000 miles outside the warranty period?

The next question is, I have about $4,000 in repairs I need to do:

1. Tires, Rims (constant bead leaks occuring, especially in the winter, had it fixed twice and they told me the rims need to be replaced to offer a longer term solution).
2. Rotors and break pads.
3. At least 1 wheel bearing.
4. Serpentine bearing is making a very loud noise (not sure what that means for the belt? )
5. Rear strut needs replacing.
6. Front Ty Rod needs replacing.
7. Plus whatever is done for the warranty repair of the engine burning oil.

In total about $4,000. It's really low mileage so I'm amazed I have all these issues. But, it's all town driving for the most part. The dealership told me (it's a 7 year old car going on 8 years old, this is just part of aging...) Riiiight...... Then why is it warrantied for 10 years? Heh.

Just looking for recommendations, is it worth fixing up or cutting my losses? If I do all these repairs this year, will I need to put another $1,000 - $2,000 into it over the next two years?

I've already put $800 into repairing the Heating unit (had a controller and capacitor go out on the automatic temp control) and replaced the battery.

Thoughts?