Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Injector failures at 55,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Default Injector failures at 55,000 miles

My daughter has a 2004 Endeavor with 55,000 miles. The check engine light has been on so she took it to the Mit dealer here. They have diagnosed three bad fuel injectors. #2,4 and 6.

Does this seem even remotely reasonable for such low mileage? She has always used premium fuel and drives mostly on the highway.

If I am not mistaken, this would be all three injectors on one side of the engine. Why would that be?

They say they will fix the three failed injectors under warranty, but not do anything about the other three. Seems that if half the injectors have failed, the others would be very suspect.

Are the injectors really prone to fail so soon in the product life?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Hank

Old 04-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Injectors usually dont go bad, did she ever change the fuel filter?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
Injectors usually dont go bad, did she ever change the fuel filter?
90gsx I might know what you mean but, I hope you can prove that statement....
Injectors can always go bad especially internally...Many times In the part of the injector that is inside the Intake manifold leaks at times.Injectors go on and off all the time-Pulse width.ON time may be milliseconds but lets say a couple million times it does that of course it takes a toll.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blck3G
90gsx I might know what you mean but, I hope you can prove that statement....
Injectors can always go bad especially internally...Many times In the part of the injector that is inside the Intake manifold leaks at times.Injectors go on and off all the time-Pulse width.ON time may be milliseconds but lets say a couple million times it does that of course it takes a toll.
When a car has a missfire its 9/10 its igntion related. Fuel injectors are not a common problem for a missfire or check engine light.

I can say I never have replaced a fuel injector in abt 5 years i've worked at a dealer. Coil packs, plugs and wires I have replaced many many many times.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:43 PM

theres nothing wrong with the injectors. Someone did a misdiagnosis.
also, there is no serviceable fuel filter on it.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM

When a car has a missfire its 9/10 its igntion related. Fuel injectors are not a common problem for a missfire or check engine light.

I can say I never have replaced a fuel injector in abt 5 years i've worked at a dealer. Coil packs, plugs and wires I have replaced many many many times.
gsx I understand where your coming from then...But the 9of 10 is wrong. I happen to be a mechanic also sir I usually do smogs and you would be amazed by how many times ive seen High HC(unburnt fuel) readings because of a leaky injector-seals inside the Intake manifold.Rich Misfire in which too much fuel is in the combustion chamber. But then again its hit and miss I guess

Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Manybrews
theres nothing wrong with the injectors. Someone did a misdiagnosis.
also, there is no serviceable fuel filter on it.
Thanks that I didnt know they didnt have a servicable fuel filter.

Last edited by dsm1990gsx; 04-12-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blck3G
gsx I understand where your coming from then...But the 9of 10 is wrong. I happen to be a mechanic also sir I usually do smogs and you would be amazed by how many times ive seen High HC(unburnt fuel) readings because of a leaky injector-seals inside the Intake manifold.Rich Misfire in which too much fuel is in the combustion chamber. But then again its hit and miss I guess

Do you only do emissions? If you also deal w/ driveability issues you'd know where I'm coming from.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Do you only do emissions? If you also deal w/ driveability issues you'd know where I'm coming from.
Smog when customer comes in....Still work on car to make that extra few bucks

Old 04-13-2009, 06:19 PM

You two arent really helping him.

The fact is that IVE been working on mitsus for 17 years... and injectors do NOT fail on endeavors. period. Certainly not 3 at a time.
the tech misdiagnosed it, unless someone else has run something through the fuel system that is a particulate and physically clogged it solid... in which case it will happen again.

Quick Reply: Injector failures at 55,000 miles