Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

whistling noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 PM

endeavor15010
As it stands now, the Rep is coming to town on the 20th of this month.. I'm supposed to meet with him then.. I don't know what they will do for me, but that noise is becoming extremely annoying.. It puts me in a bad mood by the time I get home.. I'm NOT impressed.
So, as it stands, the noise is there, and I've been asking them to replace the vehicle.. I shall keep you posted.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM

I'll put my mitsu to the dealer shop tuesday next week.After recon with the shop manager,he is suggesting that the noise is coming somewhere from the air valves which control the heating/cooling inside the truck.
By my experience, it's going to be impossible to replace,but good luck.I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Peter
Good Luck.. Boy, I hope this issue is solved correctly.. I"m not sure what air valves are making that whistling, but I'm positive it isn't air making mine..
I'm just peeved that I have to wait until the 20th to see a REP, who doesn't have time to see me.. I'll be dropping my vehicle off for him to look at it, while I work.. I am OFF on the 21st, but he isn't available.. Some how, I don't call that very accommodating!
Oh well, I'm sure it will work out for the better.. Just so darn hard being positive!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Yes, let us know what you find out. I am now wondering if we are talking about the same noise. Like I said mine sounds like a jet engine from a distance. It is not a loud whistle, but it's there. Or maybe like someone whistling softly between their front teeth. How do you explain a sound? LOL

Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM

I had this exact same issue with my 2010 Endeavor. Took it right to the dealer shop, they said it was a pinion bearing on the rear differential. Just a defective part. They ended up having to have the part shipped overseas from Japan, but it came in and was replaced. Hope this helps anyone with similar issues (mine would whistle right around 50 mph)

Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Well, my visit with the Rep was pretty quiet.. He test drove my Endeavor and said, yes, that is loud.. but, we aren't sure why it is doing it.. He said "They all do it, but mine is quite loud". "Maybe it will settle down in time?". At which point, I almost lost it..
I brought him the post from pyromax6608, about the "pinion bearing on the rear differential" He commented that is something that they will look into.
He did say at the end of the meeting, that "I (me) would be happy when this is done". What ever that meant..

We did test drive his vehicle.. which is an Endeavor as well, and it did make a loud noise as it passed 40kms/hr.. but, went away immediately..
When we hit the 80 kms/hr it made a soft whistle like the one I have, but it stopped right away.. Something I wish mine did..
As it stands now, I was told they would get back to me..
That was two days ago.. So far, so silent.
Go figure.
(Keeping you all, in the loop)

Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 AM

Bob. Sorry you didn't get much done yet about your car. It sounds like your whistle is louder than mine, which comes and goes. Your story with the rep reminds me of a 93 Blazer I bought new that would suddenly accelerate like it was floored. After going round and round, GM finally told me that 'this hasn't happened on a large scale' with their vehicles, which translated to "we're done trying to figure it out and you're stuck with it". Hopefully Mitsubishi takes better care of you than GM did with me.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 PM

After a long day spent at the dealer shop, I hoped that my whistling problem would go away.The funny part is that they removed the central console found nothing and put everything back together and problem is gone so far.I don't know what to think about it,but after 2 weeks of closly listening, all is quite.I'll wait until May when my warranty will expire...

I wish you guys the same speedy solutions to your whistling problems.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Latest news!!!
Today, after having my vehicle for three days, they called to say they are changing the Transfer Case.. They already changed the Transmission, and the Valve Body.. So, now another few grand..
I'll let you know if that is it.. They seem "sure" it is it this time.. YIPPEE, I have my fingers crossed..

Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your dilemma with the dealership and with your Mitsubishi. We (dealership I work at), have had quite a few of these come thru with a whistling noise like you have described. We have had very good luck finding the cause of the noises in the ones we have had in. A good set of chassis ears are a mechanics best friend in a situation like this.

The issues have always been the driveshaft of the vehicle. One was we have proven this is to remove the driveshaft and then run it on the lift after you know it will do it in the air. i.e. after a test drive where you have heard the noise and can get it to duplicate the problem on a hoist. The center hanger bearings seem to be the cause of the noises and once we have replaced them, no more problems have been reported.

I hope they get to the bottom of yours so you can enjoy your Mitsubishi like you should get to. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: whistling noise