Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

BOV question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Default BOV question

hey guys, i just bought an EVO IX (comin from an SRT-4) and was looking into gettin an HKS BOV. but been reading alot about this recirculation thing. if i bought the BOV, would it be better to get teh recirculation kit? or the EIDS? or both? and if i hook up the recirculation kit... will the BOV still be as loud as if it were VTA? sry bout all the questions but alot of this is new to me... lol on my SRT didnt need to do the whole recirculation thing... but im glad i did make the transition, cuz i love the EVO.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Default RE: BOV question

Not sure what the EIDS is but I'm sure it's better to get the recirculation kit. Reason is your MAF sensor accounts for the airfrom the BOV. If you leave the BOVVTA then your car will have moments of rich running and won'tperform as well.

If you have the recirculation kit on your Evo it won't be near as loud as your SRT-4. However, you can purchase an intake, such as Injen, and this will make the BOV louder. Another compromise thatgives you a little bit of both isa BOV that VTA's and recirculates...

Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 AM

and what BOV's VTA and recirculate?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Also, how is it you think the BOV will be louder when installing a different intake?

Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM

How is it you think the BOV will be louder when installing a different intake?
I know the BOV is louder with an intake because I changed the intake on my Evo IX and it was much louder after I installed the Injen intake and IC pipes. My brother also had an Evo that had a louder BOV sound after he changed his intake from stock to a K&N Typhoon.

and what BOV's VTA and recirculate?
A BOV VTA is a blow-off-valve that blows the air from the blow-off-valve into the air (VTA- Vent To Atmosphere). A recirculating BOV is connected to your intake and blows the air back into the intake pipe which is why you don't hear the pssssh sound.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM

ok well, i really want an HKS cuz i had a greddy type-S on my srt but wana switch it up a bit... on lancershop.com they make a recirculation kit for the HKS, but they also make a EIDS ( HKS electronic idle stablelizer)says it smooths the signal from the MAS for BOVthat are being VTA. was jus curious if anyone has used it n if they have is it worth buying. or should i jus get the recirculation kit?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: evoblasian

ok well, i really want an HKS cuz i had a greddy type-S on my srt but wana switch it up a bit... on lancershop.com they make a recirculation kit for the HKS, but they also make a EIDS ( HKS electronic idle stablelizer)says it smooths the signal from the MAS for BOVthat are being VTA. was jus curious if anyone has used it n if they have is it worth buying. or should i jus get the recirculation kit?
dont gt the HKS I got it on my Evo it screws with your maf readings and the car acts like it is vented even with the recirc kit. I am looking to get rid of mine

Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 AM

well what about greddy type S? i love the way it sounds but i have a feeling with the recirculation kit on it... u wont hear that whole "mechanical type" sound after the blow off. lmao and jus curious i have a greddy evo 2 exhaust would it be a bad move to remove the resonator for more sound?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM

With this car you really should not do anything for the sound BOV or exhaust. You should do it for te function. Loud BOVs are annoying

Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 AM

You shouldn't do it just forsound for ANY car imo.

Reason intakes tend to make the bov's sound louder when they are recirc'd is because most of the time they remove the stock intake box which muffles a lot of the sound.

Quick Reply: BOV question