Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Evo 9 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Default Evo 9 questions

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are going to get either an Evo, or an STi at the end of this year. She likes the Evo slightly more so we have some questions:

1. Does the SE have the aluminum fenders and/or hood of the MR? Does the 9?
2. Is the SE unavailable in blue? Is the MR available in Blue? Could either be special ordered from the factory?
3. What is the latest date that we could special order?
4. What do you all think of 5spd vs. 6spd?
5. Are the Enkei wheels forged?
6. Why is the 9 $150/mo more to lease than the STi?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Default RE: Evo 9 questions

SE I think is considers as the 9.5 IX.VI I guess lol

drive both cars garentee youll go with the EVO

the IX MR is more or the IX than the STi?

the MR is more expensive than the STi

I like the 5spd but gears are short and shifting constantly same with the 6 spd though

MRs were only Red White Graphite Grey and I think that might be all not sure

The RS model has the alluminum roof as the MR all models have the alluminum hood.

Sti has more Torque because it has a 2.5L motor but it is a little bit weaker than the EVO motor

EVO IX is faster than STi and handle better

Old 09-05-2006, 03:28 AM

Qest, my opinion to you is to go with the Evo. Both the Evo & STi share similar features and it basically boil down to what features you like the most. For example, the STi has cruise control but the Evo doesn't. I never missed cruise control one bit cause it's something I never really used in previous cars. The Recaro seats in the Evo are far more supportive than the seats found in the STi. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, and usually where one lacks, that’s the strong point of the other. The Evo was chosen and was entitled the “Sport Compact Car" of the year for two straight years by a respected auto magazine publisher, Sport Compact Car. I bought my Evo brand new October 7, 2005, it’s now about a year later with the odometer reading about 20K miles. I’ve had no problems and no regrets. You and your wife took the time to sign up and join this Mitsubishi discussion forum, it basically sounds like you guys already made up your minds and only need a lil bit more encouragement. So here it is again, go with the Evo!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the replies! Here's the full background in case anyone's interested:

I have owned 4 of the predecessors to the Evo(Conquest TSi modded to well over 400whp, and 3 AWD Turbo Eagle Talons), but my wife has never owned a fast car. She loves small turbocharged sedans, and she loves the super-sportyness of the STi and Evo. I couldn't live with either, and I intend to go to great lengths before becoming a passenger in an Evo. I currently have a 2006 VW Jetta GLI DSG which is about as far from an Evo as you can get without going over the hill to a Buick! We'll be using the VW for our trips together if I have any say in the matter. The lease is over on my VW at the end of this year, so we'll probably get her a car then, but if not, a year later when her Impreza 2.5i lease is over. We want to do it this year as the concepts floating around for both Evo X and 2008 STi are not at all what she likes aesthetically, and she wants a manual clutch.

We're currently trying to sort out which Evo we prefer, and then we'll give the STi one last shot before buying the Evo. Our dealer says the SE is unavailable in blue. He may have meant I could get it elsewhere, just not from him. Since she loves the Blue, that's the second concern about choosing an Evo after we cross-out the RS for not having ABS.

The question then becomes "Is the extra money for the SE or MR worth it?" Well, if the car doesn't come with them, I'd be likely to buy a set of forged wheels anyway and use the stockers as snow rims. If it comes with forged, I'll buy cheap alloys for the snows. Obviously, most of the weight is in the front of the Evo, so having an aluminum hood and front fenders is something I'd be willing to cough up some extra money for. We haven't driven the MR, but the articles I've read generally agree that the suspension is upgraded for both comfort AND performance which would be nice enough to spend some money on too once I find one to test myself. Various reviewers have praised and panned both the 5- and 6-speeds so that's another thing we're going to have to try for ourselves.

We feel we need to hurry as, if we decide on a Blue MR, it'll probably have to be special-ordered before production ends which I'm guessing will happen soon.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 AM

all evos have the alluminum hood so no worries there. Dont get a sunroof if car weight is a concern they weight a bit more. The MR uses Bilstein shock which are said by most to only make the EVO ride smother rather than more agressive so most MR owners say it is a luxary thing and is pointless and if you plan on doing any suspension work why bother forking over and extra $5k for only a 6spd and alluminm roof? Not to mention the MR and SE I think are the same thing per say and blue is only and option in the IX and RS models. Biggest thing to the SE is that the SE MR now made balck availible with MR options as is was not prior years

Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: qest

The question then becomes "Is the extra money for the SE or MR worth it?" Well, if the car doesn't come with them, I'd be likely to buy a set of forged wheels anyway and use the stockers as snow rims. If it comes with forged, I'll buy cheap alloys for the snows. Obviously, most of the weight is in the front of the Evo, so having an aluminum hood and front fenders is something I'd be willing to cough up some extra money for. We haven't driven the MR, but the articles I've read generally agree that the suspension is upgraded for both comfort AND performance which would be nice enough to spend some money on too once I find one to test myself. Various reviewers have praised and panned both the 5- and 6-speeds so that's another thing we're going to have to try for ourselves.

We feel we need to hurry as, if we decide on a Blue MR, it'll probably have to be special-ordered before production ends which I'm guessing will happen soon.
The extra money for the SE isn't worth a hill of beans. You get a different paint color and body enhancements to the front bumper...big deal!?!?! The MR model would be a good deal depending on your preferences. The MR has a six speed transmission which allows for lower RPM's on the freeway, it has some visual enhancements, and the suspension is upgraded. However, the IX is faster and handles almost as good due to the fact of the MR having a heavier curb weight the upgraded transmission the suspension doesn't provide much improvement. Keep in mind you're going to pay quite a bit more for the MR. Aside from all that they're both pretty good but I didn't need the "yupy" stuff on the MR.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM

6 spd has the same final drive the RPMs on the freeway are only differet by a few hundred revs

Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 PM

I realize I'm new here, but I don't think I asked really dumb questions. I think I asked 6 reasonable questions, half of which had quick easy answers, but got NO complete answers here.

1. I still don't know if the IX or SE have aluminum front fenders.
2. Still no definitive answer here either. The brochure said it's available. We have enough time to get a special order in if that's what's necessary.
3. OK, obviously need an honest dealer to answer this one, I guess there isn't one here.
4. At least there were responses to this one, even though none were conclusive.
5. I can't imagine nobody knows the answer to this one!
6. OK, I admit I didn't expect an answer to this one when I wrote it.

I feel pretty let down by this forum. I suppose I'll either have to try to pry the information out of a salesperson who I doubt will be as knowledgeable about the car as even I am, even if he is willing to give me the answers I seek without getting the hard-sell, or I'll have to find another forum for my questions. Interestingly, the people in the Subaru forum seem pretty knowledgeable, maybe I'll ask them!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

1. They all have the aluminum hood and aluminum fenders
2. & 3. Dont know
4. Well people already answered this really because the gearing in both are almost identical besides having one extra gear. Its great if you do alot of highway driving so you dont have to be at 4-5k rpms the whole time. But thats all its good for.
5. The MR edition has BBS forged aluminum rims while the others have cast aluminum alloy.
6. Dont know exactly, if i had to guess id say availibility maybe, not sure how available the STI's are though.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: qest

I realize I'm new here, but I don't think I asked really dumb questions. I think I asked 6 reasonable questions, half of which had quick easy answers, but got NO complete answers here.

1. I still don't know if the IX or SE have aluminum front fenders.
2. Still no definitive answer here either. The brochure said it's available. We have enough time to get a special order in if that's what's necessary.
3. OK, obviously need an honest dealer to answer this one, I guess there isn't one here.
4. At least there were responses to this one, even though none were conclusive.
5. I can't imagine nobody knows the answer to this one!
6. OK, I admit I didn't expect an answer to this one when I wrote it.

I feel pretty let down by this forum. I suppose I'll either have to try to pry the information out of a salesperson who I doubt will be as knowledgeable about the car as even I am, even if he is willing to give me the answers I seek without getting the hard-sell, or I'll have to find another forum for my questions. Interestingly, the people in the Subaru forum seem pretty knowledgeable, maybe I'll ask them!
Did I not clearly answer you saying that all have the alluminum fornts? and the 6spd and 5spd have the same final drive so freeway RPMs will not differ? I also gave you valid info on the MR versus other EVO models. ask your dealer about your other questions dont **** to us we dont run a dealer ya know. I tried to help you out sorry if you didnt get that

Quick Reply: Evo 9 questions