Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Help I smell burned oil and ringing sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Default Help I smell burned oil and ringing sound

This shouldn't be happening but I smell burned oil after using my car coming from work. I work 2 miles from home. Last week, on my way back to a 45min drive on the highway back home I hear ringing sound in the 5th gear around 3500-4000 rpm.. Just got my Evo IX used has 5000 miles... Any ideas what might be wrong?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned
Default RE: Help I smell burned oil and ringing sound

The ringing is just the turbo. The smell is just running rich.. the car does that.

If you see blue or white smoke from the exhaust, then thats something you should be worried about. A little black smoke is nothing to worry about

Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Do we have to check the oil level everytime cause evo runnning rich... I just change my oil to Mobil1 10w-30 exended life cause don't know what the dealership put in. If I'm not mistaken the Mobil1 oil filter is M1-110...

Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

Dont worry its fine. No you dont have to check the oil any more than you would with a normal car

Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM

did you use fully synthetic oil? thats what you should use and yes it is the M110 and M108 I belive for the Evo.

But for some reason I dont think the ringing is the turbo cause the turbo works in every gear it could be a tranny issue it happens from time to time but I wouldnt even count on that.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM

the ****ing dealership changed the oil at all... The oil was so dark luckily there wasn't any gunk. I suggest whoever bought a used evo... Basic mod will be basic oil change. It made a big difference. I'll let you guys know if i still hear that ringing sound

2nd question: Since I put in an extended life oil. Its says will be good for 15000 miles. Has anyone done this? Warranty Issues?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Evolness

the ****ing dealership changed the oil at all... The oil was so dark luckily there wasn't any gunk. I suggest whoever bought a used evo... Basic mod will be basic oil change. It made a big difference. I'll let you guys know if i still hear that ringing sound

2nd question: Since I put in an extended life oil. Its says will be good for 15000 miles. Has anyone done this? Warranty Issues?
Dde dont leave that oil in there any longer than 3000 dont be lazy or your car will not last long it only takes 10 mins to change the oil I change my il every 1500-2000 miles and every 6000 you should change your rear diff and transfer case fluids

Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM

wow you change your oil every 2000 miles. I don't do heavy driving because school and work is just 5 mins away. Thats how i figured putting an extended life oil so don't have to change it every 3000 miles.

3RD QUESTION: how do you change rear diff and transfer case fluid? what are this fluid for? Any website w/ pics on how I can do it myself?
Thanks for the input

t

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Evolness

wow you change your oil every 2000 miles. I don't do heavy driving because school and work is just 5 mins away. Thats how i figured putting an extended life oil so don't have to change it every 3000 miles.

3RD QUESTION: how do you change rear diff and transfer case fluid? what are this fluid for? Any website w/ pics on how I can do it myself?
Thanks for the input

t
It is very close to changing your oil for the motor actually. Read in the Evo FAQ section the servise manuel is there and it tells you how. For fluids I used BG syncromesh II for the tranny and oem Mitsu lsd gear luids for the tcase and rear diff but keep in mind I have a different setup than you since I have no front LSD or ACD because I have an 03 and I ahve a 5 speed not sure if you got the 6 or 5speed.

and your motor oil needs to be done every 3000 or less and needs full synthetic oil. Turbo cars do burn through oil faster so you should alway be checking it and change it ofter

Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 PM

well im glad im not the only one who changes their oil every 1500 miles, yea its good for the car like he said it only takes 10 min. i have changed my rear and transfer case 4 times now and i have 19k. just do good for the car and the car will do good for you.

Quick Reply: Help I smell burned oil and ringing sound