Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Evolution (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-evolution-50/)
-   -   Questions about Evo's (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-evolution-50/questions-about-evos-15411/)

98_GstEclipse 12-17-2006 10:39 PM

Questions about Evo's

Hey guys. Im doing some research for my friend thats looking into buying an Evo 8 or 9. Hes heard some rumors about the transmissions being bad. Is that tru. Also he wanted some opinions from owners on Evosabout any problems or anything about them. He trying to find out as much as he can before he goes out and buys one.

EMonz57 12-17-2006 10:46 PM

RE: Questions about Evo's

03 Trannys like to grind at 8000RPMs or up they are not forgiving sometimes. However I have an 03 with 41k and it shifts like day 1.

The transfer cases will blow up if you launch the car from a stop at like 7k and drop the clutch. too much of that and youll pay again no problem with mine. you just have to burn the clutch a little on a launch

Lastly the Stock clutch is weak and on average to the owners who go to the track they only get like 23k miles on the stocker again I am still on the stock clutch and it grabs about as good as day one.

The car is a pain in the balls to maintain cuz it requires alot. the brake pads last about 30k the stock tires last about 20k. The calipers and carbon fiber on the wing have bad paint from the factory and it is known to turn white and fade ect. I had this problem since I had 12k and just had it fixed finnally at 35k miles because i wanted to wait till the very end of my paint warrenty to do this warrenty covered 100% though all is well with my new parts

98_GstEclipse 12-17-2006 10:53 PM

Sweet. Thats exactly what hes looking for. Hs trying to decide on an Evo 9 or 8. But hes not sure. Hes tryin to find out as much as he can before spending his money

EMonz57 12-17-2006 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 98_GstEclipse

Sweet. Thats exactly what hes looking for. Hs trying to decide on an Evo 9 or 8. But hes not sure. Hes tryin to find out as much as he can before spending his money
If he has the money get a IX.

The EVO IX will make ALOT more power with less mods than the VIII will take. For example a guy last week just made his IX hit 430AWHP with only a reflash full 3in exhaust upper and lower IC pipes Cams ARP headstuds 30PSI stock turbo. A VIII would only make around 380 If it is lucky.

With my mods I should be around 300HP on a IX that would be around 340 I would guess. The VIII stock runs a 1\4 mile between 13.1 (2005 RS stripped down model w\ power NOTHING) to 13.8's for the 03-04 models.

Basically the EVOs stock willrun like this in the 1\4

2003 and 2004 13.8s
2005 RS 13.1
2005 VIII 13.4
2005 MR 13.3 (has the 6spd trans)
2006 IX (unsureif it was RS or IX or MR) 12.89

98_GstEclipse 12-17-2006 11:32 PM

Have you heard anything bad about them yet. His main concern was the Tranny

EMonz57 12-17-2006 11:34 PM

Have you heard anything bad about them yet. His main concern was the Tranny
The IX no not really other than some tuning is not openly availible yet. the AEM EMS was JUST released this week for the IX and cams are different ect ect

98_GstEclipse 12-17-2006 11:40 PM

I kinda figured that. Its fairly new so more and more stuff are coming out. I think Im gonna an Evo after Im done with my Gst. Not sure yet tho

EMonz57 12-17-2006 11:43 PM

I kinda figured that. Its fairly new so more and more stuff are coming out. I think Im gonna an Evo after Im done with my Gst. Not sure yet tho
you should forget the GSt and save for the EVO off the bat... test drive one and youll know why, all I gotta say is one test drive will sell the car to you and you will lose sleep till its yours hahaha.

there are a few EVO VIII with 2003s that have nearly 100k on them and still drive strong and powerfull. i am at 41k and no real troubles other than maintenace

98_GstEclipse 12-18-2006 01:23 AM

My only problem is im still in high school but I can always save up for a decent down payment and w.e. I know I will love the Evo. I use to be all about WRX's until I owned a DSM and totally changed my mind. I have a few friends with Evo 8s and 9s and they love. Plus some places down here in Tampa will do anything to them motor wise and mitsubishi will cover it and wont void the warranty. They have some agreement tho

EMonz57 12-18-2006 02:48 AM

I just moved from Tampa to Ma a few months ago.... as far as I know there were no aftermarket that mitsu would cover other than the BR330 EVOs that buschur built for mitsu dealers to have 330HP