Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Default P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Has anyone else ever got this code before? and what cause's it . Egr and egr control solinod all new and hoses too. could the egr tube that runs throw the head be gloded?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

P0401 is Egr insufficient flow

Try getting a handheld vacuum pump and apply vacuum to the egr valve at idle, w/ vacuum apllied the car should run rough. If nothing changed then something is clogged.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

If eveything checks out you got a bad manifold differential pressure sensor.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 AM

I tell you this car as been nothing but a headache ever since i bought it. 28k miles on it when I bought it from carmax in Conneticute and my list of problems :

1. all 4 rotors wrapped and padspaper thin.( this is how they sold me the car)
2. Heat sheild on downpipe rooted and fallingoff car . also how they sold it to me
3. poor shifting and tranny just getting worse
4. check engine light comes on after 20 miles of driving it off dealer lot and still on due to p0401 code
5. after new brakes done , imporper install on rear pads . Had to fix myself
6. rear diff , tranny and tc oil never changed , evo needs its oil in thoses area changed every 6k to 9k.

I'm so ready to drive it off a cliff. I'm going to look at a 2006 evo 9 SE. I don't know if anyone as heard of it or seen it , but looks pretty hot . Mr bbs wheels , mr black out tail lights , se red badge on car , hid's , sun roof. only 12k on it and they want 29,000 for it. I think i'm just going to trade me evo 8 in and pass the problems on to another dealer. I pulled the check in light bulb so they can deal with the crap . i'll my intake out and put the stock on back.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Evo2nv

I tell you this car as been nothing but a headache ever since i bought it. 28k miles on it when I bought it from carmax in Conneticute and my list of problems :

1. all 4 rotors wrapped and padspaper thin.( this is how they sold me the car)
2. Heat sheild on downpipe rooted and fallingoff car . also how they sold it to me
3. poor shifting and tranny just getting worse
4. check engine light comes on after 20 miles of driving it off dealer lot and still on due to p0401 code
5. after new brakes done , imporper install on rear pads . Had to fix myself
6. rear diff , tranny and tc oil never changed , evo needs its oil in thoses area changed every 6k to 9k.

I'm so ready to drive it off a cliff. I'm going to look at a 2006 evo 9 SE. I don't know if anyone as heard of it or seen it , but looks pretty hot . Mr bbs wheels , mr black out tail lights , se red badge on car , hid's , sun roof. only 12k on it and they want 29,000 for it. I think i'm just going to trade me evo 8 in and pass the problems on to another dealer. I pulled the check in light bulb so they can deal with the crap . i'll my intake out and put the stock on back.
All IX have black out lights. a SE is just an MR except with the 5spd which is the better tranny. The SE is one of the better Evo models IMO. Keep in mind a used Evo youll have a chance to have problems with it. besides that the pad,rotors, tires, and clutchall suck and only last about 20k. the fluids should be changed on the regular. the tranny and TC need to be done every 6k and rear diff every 12k or so.

Honestly though all your troubles fall under the warrenty and you should put your car back to stock and have mitsu deal with it.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Well looks like thats my option. The SE evo was sold. oh well. maybe its just a sign . Well wed. of next week i am taking it to mitsu to look at everything. tranny , clutch . Brakes i've fixed , heat sheild i've just ripped them all of the down pipe anyhow so my only issue really is the tranny , the egr code isn't so much a big deal , but since they are going to be looking at it i'll have them test it to see whats up.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=309665 this might help you out

Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

hey thanks. Its kinda late , bout 5pm and rainning pretty good up here in CT. little cold too. I'll have to check it out at work tomorrow. Could be the reason why mine keeps coming on cause the light only seemed to come on when i was running and boost and the boost just keeps popping the hose off. thanks again for the help.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:35 PM

another note to make with that code is the EGR passage has carbon build up, I have repaired a few of them at work lately without changing parts. Take the EGR valve off, and the two holes/passages in your intake are prob full of black sooty stuff. Soak it down with air intake cleaner and if you can get a pipecleaner/wire brush for cleaning tubes. use a small screw drive and scrape what you can see and try to feed the pipe cleaner through. Usually what happens is the passage isn't get enough flow for the EGR to opperate properly. I have had 100% success with this repair and customers haven't come back with the same code. Note these customers have been to other dealers first and even to ours once. Usually an insufficient flow code is due to a blockage or a hose isn't connected. Hope that helps ya out a little.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: moronicicon

another note to make with that code is the EGR passage has carbon build up, I have repaired a few of them at work lately without changing parts. Take the EGR valve off, and the two holes/passages in your intake are prob full of black sooty stuff. Soak it down with air intake cleaner and if you can get a pipecleaner/wire brush for cleaning tubes. use a small screw drive and scrape what you can see and try to feed the pipe cleaner through. Usually what happens is the passage isn't get enough flow for the EGR to opperate properly. I have had 100% success with this repair and customers haven't come back with the same code. Note these customers have been to other dealers first and even to ours once. Usually an insufficient flow code is due to a blockage or a hose isn't connected. Hope that helps ya out a little.
Hey thanks . Ya i had my dealership look it over and all is good , but they even said it might be carbon build up in the head and or intake manifold. as long as it won't hurt the car or my performance i don't care of now. It won't throw my ecu into safe mod like a Cel light for an o2 sensor will it?

Quick Reply: P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected