Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

what do i want sti or evo 8

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Default what do i want sti or evo 8

ok so i am looking at the evo 8 and wrx sti i know im on a evo forum but plz tell me the truth what is the best car 2 get

i only like to drag race

Old 05-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Default RE: what do i want sti or evo 8

tough question.....( am' a evo fan, but cant say if evo is better )

Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 AM

According to Car and Driver, they are basically the same car as far as performance. Out of the same tests, they were both close, so it's basically up to you, which looks better to you?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 AM

If you're looking for drag/strip I'd go with the EVO. But then again the STi does a hell of a lot better straight then the EVO.

Last year when the DSM world had the EVO .vs. WRX shot out the EVO took (if I remember right) 7 out of 8 finishes. That not only tells you about the EVO, but it should make your decision a lot easier.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 AM

If you only like to drag race, I'd go with the STi just cos you get a 2.5 block to start with. As far as mods go, both have just as many great after market parts that can make your car fly. Personally I like the EVO better but that's a "preference" thing, not an objective evaluation. I've actually looked into both in detail and I find that the STi has a much more refined interior and behaves a lot better as a daily driver also. The EVO tends to be more ballsy making it just a little rougher for daily street driving.

Let us know which way you go.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:44 AM

i always liked the evo more, until i test drove both. On paper they are so close it really comes down to preference. I like the way the sti drove better. It DEFINITELY felt faster, 6 speed, very short gears ( u finish the quarter mile in 5th), it accelerates like crazy. the evo felt weak at high rpms jus like a typical dsm. I also think the sti looks beter with black and gold rims, and the inside is nicer. As far as handling, supposedly the evo is more refined, but for everyday driving i found the steering to be too tight, it was jerky and didnt wana stay in a strait line on the freeway. Another note, the evo is full of electronics in the suspension and lsds where as the sti has more feedback. Id rather have the feedback and not have to worry about electronic failure down the road.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 AM

Car and Driver said if I remember right, the sti is better in acceleration, but when they had a pro drive on a rally course, the evo won hands down... I prefer races with more than 4 turns, so I'd go with the evo myself, lol.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:01 AM

Well I am in the same boat here i Am looking to trade in my spyder for either an EVO or an STi

Here is what I found..the STi yes it has a 2.5L but it uses alluminum blocks the displacement gives you a little more tourqe but it is also weaker because of the blocks..I read about alot of STi owners cracking the ringlands at a little more than 400AWD (weak pistons, only JDMs used forged internals stock, also JDM was only 2.0L) I have read about quit a few CV joint issues with the STis as well

In my opinion the STi is better looking and has a nicer interior but the EVO has more potencial, both cars have there pros and cons I know that the EVOs have weak stock clutches and My buddy had his transfer case go out at only 1200 Miles on the odo

I myself am now leaning towards the EVO because on the potencial and the eaise of modding where as the boxer engine the heads are at each side of the enginh bay with the exhaust facing down and the intake manifold on top, Basicly is just like looking at a V platform engine but only 4 cylinders, and weak pistons, ringlands are not something I want to worry about

Old 05-14-2005, 03:21 PM

i'll just wait till evo 9 comes out........that should answer the question.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:24 AM

ok so if i go with the evo are mods a lil less $$$ than the sti or about the same. i am 17 and have had 2 save a lot of $$$ so that my mom will even think of me doing this i have now 22k and if i have 2 i will make payments but will be broke for sometime so i want a car that is easy 2 mod and the best 2 mod..............................o can some 1 tell me the 1/4 mile time on both cars stock TY

Quick Reply: what do i want sti or evo 8