Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

WTF Already problems!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Default WTF Already problems!!!!!!!

What kinda crap is this, I am already having problems with fourth gear, any ideas???? If i drive normal the car goes into fourth no problem, if I redline third and try to get it in fourth it doesnt wanna go in smooth, I dont hear grinding but it feels like crap, hard to explain, I can get it in gear but feels like im shifting to slow and grinds but i made sure the cltuch was fully pressed and it still did it. This saturday im gonna change all the fluids but i dont know??? anyone??? Oh the trans has like 6k on it only. Oh also I have never grinded fourth before and never beat the car real bad just you average fun drives.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: WTF Already problems!!!!!!!

what evo/trim do u have

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM

2005 evo 8, I got the regular 8 5sp.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM

Is a known issue. and even more so on cars run hard at lower miles. The Evos 4th and 5th gears are weak and the MRs 4-6 are weaker. The syncros go out rather easy. it is warrentable as long as the dealer is mod friendly. dont metion the trac or 2step if you changed it from 5000RPMs that is stock

you should flush your tranny and try that but honestly all I can say is its prob the synrcos. FOG had the ame trouble in his but mine as of now at 42k miles still shift like it did with 12k miles

Old 05-23-2007, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the suugestions, well I took my car to work and drove easy almost all the way to work, once i almost got off the highway I did a 5 to 3 down shift and ran third all the way up to redline, when I shifted I didnt have any problems, ????? I talked to the guy that did all the work on my car and he did mention about how long the car sat before I actually ran the car, I told him like 30-45mins. I just dont know, I might take it to work one more day and see if it will do it and if it does I might take it in. I just cant understand that if this is a race inspired car but breaks as soon as you drive it hard then whats the point in this car??? Well I will let you guys know what happens tomorrow. Oh as for the trans fluid, it it pretty fresh only about 1500 miles on it.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 PM

The Evo is a race car I guess but it is designed for road course rally race ect so that usually stays around 1-3rd mitsu jut figured the weaker syncros in 4-5 were not going to be in issue I guess. the other thing you can get is tranny lock out and the stock clutch and many aftermarket clutchs will do that. what happens is at high RPMs when you try to shift hard it just dont go in. FOGs car was doing that and Ialmost wonder i it was his ACT clutch he was using before because there is on form of ACT clutch that does lock out cant remember what it was though. and that is thereason I am buying the exedy twin HD because it wont do that plus it is safer on the drivertrain

Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 PM

what causes syncros to go bad???? Grinding gears or just abuse??? Or something else?? Emonz the tranny lock out you are reffering to is that related to the syncros or what cause that??? Sorry I dont know to much aabout transmissions since all my cars have been autos until the evo. Just so you know, I really do baby this car and dont drive like a maniac at all, when I bought this car I knew about the drivetrain problems since Emonz has informed me about all this, so I really have been careful and had the diff, TC and trans fluid all changed already. So I mean if taking it to the track once caused this thats crazy.... but dont get me wrong I will get in my splurts where I wanna drive the car hard but I never take it to the limits. Also I have never grinded any gears other than second twice and that was when I just first bought the car and my hands were moving faster than my feet, but other than that I got the shifting down packed. One thing just to repeat myself once more though, I did drive the car to work today just to see if it would happen again...... well it didnt and went in gear very smoothly with no problems at 7k in third to fourth why??????????? Could the heat have caused the problem??? I have to drive on the highway stop and go for about 2hrs and it was really hot outside. Well im off to bed talk to you guys tomorrow about this.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM

well drove the car again today with 0 problems with fourth, so I dont know. So did anyone read my post above this one to answer a couple of those questions??

Old 05-24-2007, 05:46 PM

you should be fine. I doubt one day ot the track wasan issue. some people do runs weeklly in there evos.

the tranny heat is possible I guess not that I am a pro so I am not really sure but who knows

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Emonz is right, I had trouble with my tranny. I was also putting down 475WHp / 476 WQ at the time. I dont think it was my ACT clutch. TTrix ( they have done all of the work on my car that was beyond my capabilities ) suggested that it was also because I was running an AEM stand alone and was shifting at like 8200 rpm.
As for an EXEDY clutch. I spent like $3000 on a carbon twin plate that lasted 900 miles. Never even got a return call or e-mail from Exedy. I wouldn't run one of those if you gave it to me........the purple does look nice hanging on the garage wall tho. Thats my expeirence with them [:-]

Quick Reply: WTF Already problems!!!!!!!