Mitsubishi Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the forums here.

2017 ASX losing power at 100km/h on cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Angry 2017 ASX losing power at 100km/h on cruise control

About 3 weeks ago my ASX started to cough/splutter while in cruise control at 100km/h. I do highway driving everyday, twice a day. During both drives each day it will all of a sudden start to cough/splutter, it will do this for a few seconds and then just kick back in but then it does it again and starts to lose power dropping right down to 50km/h for about 2 mins and then all of a sudden takes off. When it does this I can do nothing especially accelerate out of it, it just comes out of it itself. It is like it goes into limp mode but nothing shows up from the computer. I took it to the dealer, told them exactly what happens and left it with them. They rang me the next day and told me nothing was wrong with the car and to come and pick it up. I went to the dealer and took one of their mechanics for a drive and it did it but only for a few seconds, nothing like the massive drop in power and time I have happen. The mechanic agreed something was wrong, I did tell him what it just did was nothing as bad as it usually does. The mechanic felt it was the EGR, I left the car with them again. I got another phone call from the dealer saying it wasn't the EGR and they didn't know what it was and could not reproduce the bad episodes I was talking about, they said it only does it for a few seconds and they are able to accelerate out of it. There is no way I can accelerate out of it when it is bad. I did suggest the turbo to them (as they fully say there is nothing wrong with the motor) but they said , no way is it the turbo. My car is still with them as they say themselves and Mitsubishi have no idea what it is. I am hoping someone on here may be able to help before I am made to pick my car up without it being fixed.

Last edited by Laurine; 07-07-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:26 AM

What year is your car? How many Kms on it? Where are you?

I gather it is a diesel from your post. It could be the EGR sticking open.That would give similar symptoms . Also if the DPF is getting clogged that would do the same, but you would get a warning light coming on.
The inlet manifold might also be blocked, especially around the boost pressure sensor aperture.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:41 AM

It is a 2017 model (diesel) and has done 112000. I am in the Bundaberg region. They have said it isn't the EGR.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:13 PM

Find another dealer.

A dealer has a responsibility to fix any car that is presented to them.

And saying Mitsubishi has no idea? Thats rubbish. The dealer support system doesnt work like that. The dealer has to give tech support a detailed report of their findings with you car, they will get help. If the dealer says they dont know whats wrong, tech support are not there to tell them what to check. They should know that already.

I wouldnt trust what they say to you. Just go elsewhere

Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 PM

Oh believe me I don't believe what they say but unfortunately it is suppose to be getting fixed under warranty. I have spoken to a number of people now who have bought cars from this dealer ( other makes like Holden, MG, they sell a variety of car brands) and they have been told with their issues that the fault couldn't be found and they have contacted the manufacturer and they don't know what it is either.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:51 AM

Is it a used car warranty? As MMAL warranty would have expired at 100000kms

Old 07-09-2021, 04:48 AM

That has been a contentious issue. I have had to go to the dealer a few times re issues and every time they have told me I have 5 year Warranty, have never said 100000 kms. Even when I took the car in with this issue they said "Yes you have 5 year warranty" that is until I proved there was a real issue then all of a sudden they said "oh no it is 100000km warranty". I went straight to the owner of the car yard and told him everything that had happened from being told there was nothing wrong with my car until I took one of their mechanics for a drive and proved there was something wrong to always being told (even that day) that I had 5 year warranty until they admitted there was a problem and now I only had 100000km warranty. The owner was not impressed with his service department (there were a couple of other comments made by them that he was furious at) and said he would personally cover the car under warranty. But I must admit ever since that he has rung me a couple of times (they have now had my car for a week and a half) and is saying they just can't find anything wrong with it but does admit it slightly does the issue I said but they have not reproduced the issue anywhere near as bad as I say it is.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:34 PM

My advice would be to contact MMAL, advise them of the situation, and tell them you want it repaired under warranty, but not at the dealer you have been using.

They can authorise this under a goodwill scheme. As the original dealer have messed you around till after your warranty has expired, they should be ok with this.

Loss of power on these cars can normally be attributed to EGR problems, and i have replaced quite a few for this fault. Turbo failure is unlikely as it would be bad all the time.

Please keep us informed of your outcome

Old 07-13-2021, 06:14 PM

Yes I am going to contact Mitsubishi as the situation is getting quite ridiculous, they have had my car now for 2 weeks. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:57 AM

Did you find out the problem? I’m having pretty much the exact same problem now.
Update: have done an EGR delete and problem is gone, however that does trigger the engine light which I’m hoping to rectify with a delete patch lead

Last edited by MikeyD; 11-04-2022 at 10:41 PM.