Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   '02 Galant Plug Wires (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/02-galant-plug-wires-12515/)

Tall Grille 08-06-2006 06:25 PM

'02 Galant Plug Wires

My wifes '02 Galant began to hesitate on acceleration, then the chack engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they scanned it to find a misfire problem caused by bad plug wires. They quoted me a ridiculous price for a tune-up, and when I said I would do it myself they told me to use factory wires, again at a ridiculous price, because the aftermarket wires do not seat properly. I assumed they were just trying to make a sale and I replaced the plugs and wires with Federated wires and Champion plugs. This helped for a short time but the hesitation is back. Is there a good aftermarket wire set or do I have to take out a second mortgage and buy the factory parts?

Manybrews 08-07-2006 12:26 AM

RE: '02 Galant Plug Wires

aftermarket wires are pure trash.

never use anything but factory NGK plugs and wires, or you will be paying twice... once to replace them now, once later when they fail prematurely.

you get what you pay for.
you also didnt say whether you had a 4 or 6 cylinder... and the difference is that you need about 2 hours to replace the plugs/wires on the v6.

Sebba 08-07-2006 09:21 PM

Now thats a very bold statement about aftermarket wires being trash and technically an untrue one. NGK are awesome

Manybrews 08-08-2006 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Now thats a very bold statement about aftermarket wires being trash and technically an untrue one. NGK are awesome
no, its not a "bold statement".
having worked on these for as long as I have, 90 percent of the time I have to replace plugs/wires because of a failure, they've already been replaced with aftermarket ones.
it matters not if they're generic NAPA wires, or the "hi-po" wires from magnacore, NGK, etc.
they do NOT match the quality. And "hi-po" wires are a completely worthless investment in the first place, being as the factory ignition system is capable of more than twice the output your stock engine will ever need.
buy what you want. But take the advice of someone that sees this every day; factory ignition on a mitsu is tough to beat. I have yet to find a mitsu tech with any sense recommend anything but mitsu ignition parts.

Incidently, the last race eclipse I built (a 92 turbo) had 385 hp at the front wheels using 100 percent stock ignition componants.

Sebba 08-08-2006 09:28 PM

Well i cant argue with that. Since i pulled a set of NGK wires off my eclipse that looked totally fried... now using stock ones. The plugs are ok though!

sky1watch00 06-11-2012 08:12 PM

04 Galant

Can anyone tell me what kind of gas mileage I could expect to get from this vehicle and what kind of life as far as mileage you could expect to get from it. I found one that is in good condition and made in USA but don't have any past experience with this maker. This one has 141,000 already...

Iansilv 01-02-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews (Post 78419)
no, its not a "bold statement".
having worked on these for as long as I have, 90 percent of the time I have to replace plugs/wires because of a failure, they've already been replaced with aftermarket ones.
it matters not if they're generic NAPA wires, or the "hi-po" wires from magnacore, NGK, etc.
they do NOT match the quality. And "hi-po" wires are a completely worthless investment in the first place, being as the factory ignition system is capable of more than twice the output your stock engine will ever need.
buy what you want. But take the advice of someone that sees this every day; factory ignition on a mitsu is tough to beat. I have yet to find a mitsu tech with any sense recommend anything but mitsu ignition parts.

Incidently, the last race eclipse I built (a 92 turbo) had 385 hp at the front wheels using 100 percent stock ignition componants.

Do you have a link on where I can purchase genuine mitsubishi factory spark plug wires for a 1999 GTZ that you recommend?