Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   2000 Galant ES won't start (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/2000-galant-es-wont-start-48133/)

Noah19 04-19-2015 02:08 PM

2000 Galant ES won't start

Yesterday I decided to degrease my engine considering it was very dirty and has probably never been cleaned (I had gotten the car for Christmas). I covered the alternator and the fuse area before doing it. After I squirted it down with the purple cleaner I then rinsed it down with a hose. I let it dry and run for about 15 minutes then took it down the street. As I came back up the street the gas pedal gave out while the car was still running. I heard a pop under my hood. I pulled over and shut my car off. It wouldn't start after that. It will crank but wont start. I let it dry for a day hoping that it was just something that got wet but it's still cranking. I read that I should look at the distributor, but I cannot for the life of me find the distributor on my car! I've looked online at pictures, and I know what one looks like but I don't see one at all. I followed the spark plug wires where they lead to two little boxes, but no distributor. I checked my fuses, it's not them. The spark plugs aren't sparking. I would check the distributor but I can't find it. If you can help me that would be great!

Akzle 04-19-2015 02:43 PM

you have coil packs and an ignition module - not a distributor.
the "little boxes" are probably the ignition module/s, these can be checked with an LED test light or an oscilloscope, it may be them, or it may be the signal input for them (Crank sensor? magneto... something)
obviously start by making sure it's getting the correct signal before deciding they're blown.

Noah19 04-19-2015 07:47 PM

I checked both ignition modules/coils. They're working. I also check all my fuses and those are fine too. I now have no clue what it could be. Could there be an internal fuse somewhere in the engine that's not in the fuse box?

Akzle 04-20-2015 12:02 AM

how did you check them? if they're working, why is there no spark? process of elimination...

also, you'll find fusible links.

Noah19 04-20-2015 06:24 PM

Sore, I meant I had only checked the main fuse box, and those are fine. I was told that there are more fuses then just the ones in the main fuse box. I found another fuse box under my steering wheel, I'll check those fuses out soon. Is there any other possible places for me to look?

Noah19 04-20-2015 10:51 PM

Okay so we just checked the camshaft position sensor and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm gonna my to buy one online for 20 bucks off of amazon to see if that fixes it.

Noah19 04-21-2015 08:22 PM

Its not the camshaft... I still don't know what it is.

Akzle 04-22-2015 04:05 AM

what have you tested

Noah19 04-23-2015 09:11 PM

I've tested the coil packs, and the camshaft position sensor. I cant find an actual picture for my relay/fuse box so I can't tell which relays are which. Also, I'm beginning to think it might be the ECU. I'm also considering it might be the ASD relay, but I can't find out where that relay is. The issue is that there is basically no information on my car online.

Akzle 04-24-2015 09:45 PM

'The issue is
that there is basically no
information on my car online.'

haaaaaahahahaha.

a long time ago, i invented these things called books.

Go and buy a haynes workshop manual. Or borrow one from a library. Know what a library is? You could probably find out online...
Hahahahaha. Hell.