Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake problems..... (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/cold-air-intake-problems-4273/)

SirMagno626 05-12-2005 01:03 PM

Cold Air Intake problems.....

I have a 94 galant and I just installed a new cold air intake, when I start the car it only goes up to 1000 rpms, when the old intake hit 2000, also, when I start backing out after just starting the car it dies, after a few minutes of idling it doesnt die, do I need to install a hood scoop, or is there another problem that I am overlooking...

maverick091284 05-12-2005 03:04 PM

RE: Cold Air Intake problems.....

ahh that problem is kinda weird. happened to me too before. well if ur cold air filter is wet that can be the cause of it. which i dont think is the problem for you. you might need to reset the computer chip of the car. u have to bring it to the dealer ship and i think they do it for free. not 100%positive abotu that though. Or if you go here www.thegalantcenter.com that is a forum specifically for galants and there are many many posts about the car not being able to idle. you can still drive the car just have to keep the rpm higher...

SirMagno626 05-12-2005 11:52 PM

well my old air filter had an O2 sensor, this one doesnt, could that be the problem? or should i get the cpu chip reset like you said?

maverick091284 05-13-2005 12:04 AM

i think u need to somehow put that o2 sensor back coz all galants need the sensor in it. i havent seen any car with a cold air and not have the sensor on. that probably is why the car wont idle. the sensor regulates the air. so try putting in that sensor first then if that doesnt work get the ecu reset.

wicked_outlander 05-13-2005 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: maverick091284

i think u need to somehow put that o2 sensor back coz all galants need the sensor in it. i havent seen any car with a cold air and not have the sensor on. that probably is why the car wont idle. the sensor regulates the air. so try putting in that sensor first then if that doesnt work get the ecu reset.
yep thats right, without your O2 basically confusing the brain,now everytime theres a new part / parts install, re-set the computer.

SirMagno626 05-13-2005 12:09 PM

So resetting the chip should fix the problem? or is there something else i need to do...

maverick091284 05-13-2005 02:24 PM

i think after u put the o2 back you should be fine. give it couple minutes after puttin the o2 back. if it still wont idle. reset it.

SirMagno626 05-13-2005 11:26 PM

how would i go about putting the old sensor onto my new intake? the old sensor is bigger and squared, would I need to get a new intake or is it possible to put the old sensor onto the new intake? and do I definately need the O2 sensor?

wicked_outlander 05-14-2005 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SirMagno626

how would i go about putting the old sensor onto my new intake? the old sensor is bigger and squared, would I need to get a new intake or is it possible to put the old sensor onto the new intake? and do I definately need the O2 sensor?
if you dont have the spec.( factory ) w/ your new intake, then you'll have to punch a hole. ( drill') old sensor will work fine. it'll take a lil' bit of brain cruncher, but u'll manage to get it done. and make sure to disconnect your battery before any modifications. local performance shops should be able to help you, with the right tools.