Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!! (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/engine-knocking-tapping-noise-idle-14812/)

jeffgolem 11-20-2006 01:38 PM

Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on a sound I have from my engine. I have a normally aspirated 2002 4cyl, automatic trans, Galant ES with 109,000 miles. Oil changed every 3,000. Engine very clean in and out. Original timing belt. Most miles are gentle highway miles. When I start the car when it has been sitting and is cold it goes to high idle and sounds nice and tight, then as the cars warms and the RPMs drop below 1,000 RPM I begin to slowly hear a knocking sound from what seems to be the center of the engine block. As the car warms more and the RPMs drop even further below 1,000 RPMs the sound gets louder and louder until it is pretty pronounced as the car sits at idle. It is a rhythmic knocking sound, much more pronounced than a ticking sound. If I rev the engine the sound will begin to get quieter and disappear all together above about 1,800 RPM. Let go of the throttle and the sound returns. Any ideas? Can this be the lifters or even a rod knock (ie: crankshaft bearings or wrist pin?) I'm trying to get an idea. (by the way, oil is very clean and full, 5W-30 dino oil)

I really need your feedback. Help.
I will keep you updated on the status...

jeffgolem 11-22-2006 01:46 PM

RE: Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!

Any thoughts on this one?

Sebba 11-22-2006 01:47 PM

either spun bearing or rod knock.

jeffgolem 11-22-2006 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

either spun bearing or rod knock.

If this is the case at 110K miles I'm thinking of just trading it in and getting what I can get for it, or would you think that I should just drive it until it completely goes. The rest of the car is in great shape because it has been well taken care of.

Do you think a thicker oil will help quite the sound for now, or prolong the engine a little?

Sebba 11-22-2006 03:00 PM

The motor in its current condition might still be able to be rebuilt. Now if you continue to run the car and it blows most likely throwing a rod through the block then the motor is history and unable to be rebuilt in any way.

I say asses your options. Ask a place what they will trade it in for and see what they offer you. If you feel its unreasonable and cant find anything better then you should just sell it. Either that or run it till it dies.

jeffgolem 11-22-2006 03:19 PM

I'm going to take it in. I still can't believe that the engine could have this problem at only 110K. I have owned since it had 12K miles on it and have always changed the oil and permormed all other maintenance on it. I drive a lot of highway miles and I bought this car with the intention that I could easily go 200 -250K miles without engine work. I have always been able to do that with my Honda cars.

I'm guessing a car in this condition with a rod knock is worth maybe $2,000 or $1,500. How much do you think a rebuild would cost?

Sebba 11-22-2006 03:24 PM

The rebuild would be around 1-2k depending what needs to be changed.

Can you post a video of this so i can make sure this is rod knock and not something else that i am getting wrong. I dont want you to have to junk the car and then find out it wasnt what i thought it was.

Perferably a high def video with good sound!

jeffgolem 11-22-2006 03:40 PM

I'm going to take some video with sound tonight. I shoul have something for you to listen to hopefully by tomorrow.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Sebba 11-22-2006 03:46 PM

Any time.

Happy turkey day to you too.

RMUDBUGS 11-22-2006 06:27 PM

It could be the lifters. I work at a Mitsu dealer and bearing or rod problems are rare, but we do see a lot of bad lifters.