Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   gf's 97 galant starting problem (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/gfs-97-galant-starting-problem-24966/)

travis 01-24-2008 11:41 PM

gf's 97 galant starting problem

new to the forum so first off hello! Im travis.

im not very well versed in these cars so i've been searching non stop for the past two days to try to solve this starting issue with the better halfs car.

sometimes it starts up fine without a hitch. other times it takes 3-5 turns of the key and will start up fine. when u turn the key if it doesnt start up, it does nothing but turn the accessories on, motor doesnt even turn over. i've pulled the starter, its good. the altenator, thats good too (actually brand new), battery is new. connections between all of them is perfect. the terminals aren't corroded at all, grounds are solid. every fuse and relay is good and getting power to it.

im atta loss here as i dont know much about these cars. could use some help.

Travis

Sebba 01-25-2008 12:23 AM

RE: gf's 97 galant starting problem

Do you hear a click when it doesnt start? If thats the case then the starter is sticking. If you hear no click at all when you turn the key, then the solenoid is going out. Either that or there is a bad contact in the ignition.

dsm1990gsx 01-25-2008 06:44 AM

It sounds like your starter is going, b/c that what it will do, start fine one day and not so well the next. Like what sebba said do you hear a click when it tries to start?

RMUDBUGS 01-25-2008 11:47 AM

It's not the starter. It's the eletrical part of the ignition switch. We see this a lot on that model car.

Part # MB903639

List $36.27

Get it at your local dealer. It fits behind the key cylinder. When you turn the key it turns the switch which makes sends the signal to the starter. The contacts are bad in the switch. All you can do is replace it.

travis 01-26-2008 01:04 AM

thanks for the replies everyone!!! much appreciated. i'll finally have another chance to dig into the car today (saturday).

as for sounds, absolutely no clicks or anything. quite literally i hear nothing but silence when i turn the key. turn it a couple times, at some point it just roars to life.

whoever owned this car before her was a menace to all things automobiles. while i was at yesterday i decided to give it a tune up cuz the plugs looked a little over worked. i seriously think the fella that owned this car before her was not aware that changing oil is a vital part of reg. maintence...dear lord, i dont even want to get into it.

again guys, thank you so much. i've been a mechanic for 7 years now (mostly 8 cylinder domestics though) im glad to see the love for automobiles and the willingness to help a fellow enthusiast running so strong. its much appreciated.

Travis

travis 01-26-2008 12:31 PM

oh something i noticed today:

before i get on the cold pavement to look under this thing today i wanted to add that when i turn the key, the door locks go nuts (lock n unlock many times )with each turn of the key. Also when it did start today i noticed the lights flicker.

Thinking it might be something more simple like a loose ground. a faulty soleniod or the ignition switch wouldn't cause the lights to flicker would it?

Sebba 01-26-2008 01:43 PM

Thats a new one on me? Well that rules out the starter. Sounds to me like RMUDBUGS has a fair idea of whats going on. Although maybe this new information you gave will throw that.

Electrical problems are a BITCH to pinpoint.

So what do you drive?

RMUDBUGS 01-26-2008 02:14 PM

Everything starts with the ignition switch. It gives power to everything else. It is the root of the problem. I sell 2-3 a month at the dealer I work at.

travis 01-26-2008 10:26 PM

yeah they had to order the part for me today, im picking it up in the am. also if you wanna talka bout some f'ed up stuff...when i pulled the the under panel off to my suprise i found a remote start system that lead to a toggle switch up under the steering wheel. loose wires were everywhere! the locks dont go nuts now that i've removed that, the lights dont dim anymore. its just the turn key start issue, which im pretty sure the ignition switch replacment will solve that.

thanks for chiming in. ill post up tomorrow if this fixes the problem or not.

thanks again
Travis

travis 01-27-2008 11:57 AM

update: replaced the ignition switch. somehow it fixed the a bunch of the other smaller issues but after the car started twice successfully it went back to doing the same thing, turn key and nothing happened. i guess ill just start tracing down the line and look over all the connections again.

anyone know if alarms were installed from the factory? and if so there has to be a fuse or relay for it somewhere no?

Travis