Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

HELP NEEDED, any mitsu wiz's around?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Default HELP NEEDED, any mitsu wiz's around?

ok so first off, ive done MANY searches with variations of the information im about to describe, so i did try to find the solution to my problem before adding to the boards. also, im new here... im coming over from the ford probe/mx-6 forum.

so i just finished up dropping the j-spec ZE into my ford probe, time to divert my attention to my galant i busted last summer. heres the deal: i was doin about 30mph, flattening out at the bottom of a small hill, about to head up another small one when my timing belt broke. once the car shut off i immediately knew something was up (a big indicator was the power steering locking up). turned out it was the timing belt which wouldnt have been as big of a problem for me exept for the fact that i know the 4G64 engines are interference engines so im sure ive bent 50%- all of my valves. i havent messed with the car since, and also im not currently living at home anymore so i dont have access to it. now for my questions

i havent pulled the head, so im wondering with what ive explained so far, what kind of damage (if any) will there be to the pistons? in repairing this, other than the tbelt/tensioner/water pump which im replacing anyways, what will i need to replace concerning the valves... will i need new lifters, etc? do you think it would be cheaper (and/or more efficient) to just replace the whole head? im not looking for performance, honestly im selling the car once i fix it so im not looking to do the DOHC swap, just the same 4G64 head. would i have better luck (considering the sale as well) to invest in a newer 4G64 engine all together? i would only seriously consider buying a lower-mileage engine if the pistons were more than slightly scarred. i hope you guys/girls can help me out with this, im not used to my galant ES as i literally had it in my possession for 36 hours (it was my brothers, he had a 2nd car, i put in almost $200 for new battery, full tank of gas, new wipers, other maintenance) so after i post this im gonna check out the write-ups and see if i have luck finding info for valve replacement. thanks in advance!

-logan c.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Default RE: HELP NEEDED, any mitsu wiz's around?

also, its in my sig, but its a 7g 1996 galant ES if it helps make any info more exact