Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   Install performance muffler now? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/install-performance-muffler-now-3266/)

Maximus99 02-06-2005 06:16 PM

Install performance muffler now?

Would it be a waste of money to put some kind of higher flow muffler on now,or wait until I can afford to upgrade to at least a cat-back system later? If I got one now,is there a direct bolt-up to the stock location & size? And also,the 99 Galant has an unknown maintenance record to me...at what point should have the cat been changed out? I have quite a few miles on it. I'd like a high flow version of it too! Thanks

Prophet 02-07-2005 12:56 AM

RE: Install performance muffler now?

Nothing wrong with changing out the muffler. The 8G already has stock at 2.5 piping so I wouldn't go any bigger than that. At this time there is not a manufacter that makes a complete catback anyway for the 8G so you might was well settle for a nice muffler and have a shop custom bend some pipes for you.

As far as the cat is concerned I don't think it needs to be changed at anytime. At least it wasn't something that I have looked into to much. As far as a high flow cat it will mess with your emmisions so keep that in mind.

Maximus99 02-07-2005 02:45 AM

Thanks,then I guess a stainless muffler would be good.Does anyone have a suggestion on manufaturer? I know there are some pretty expensive ones,but whats the best deal 4 the cash? I'm just realizing,it looks like parts for a Mitsubishi rival some of the Corvette parts I've run across on my C3 transformation...expensive,but with less results

wicked_outlander 04-13-2005 06:28 AM

try magnaflow for now....

Maximus99 04-13-2005 06:56 AM

Magneflow would be good.Did you have any model or part number to suggest?

wicked_outlander 04-14-2005 03:11 PM

model#14803
model#14816
model#14829
model#14818.....

all universal muff.

wicked_outlander 04-14-2005 03:14 PM

check your local muffler shop's for pipe bends and 2.5 system.( cat back )

Maximus99 04-14-2005 04:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys,I will check around locally for prices on a mandrel bent system,& 2.5" is the way to go for the V6, right? I wonder if buying the muffler online and paying shipping would be about the same as getting it local w/o shipping? Guess I have to make some calls....

wicked_outlander 04-15-2005 04:27 PM

4 banger, 6 banger aint matter...2.5 is the best way to spit out exhaust gas. order it online, better and faster....

2002es 04-21-2005 02:57 AM

if i where to replace the stock cat with a high flow cat would that mess up the computer at all. i am not concern about emision. they don't test that here in minnesota. when i get back home i was going to have the hole exhuast sytem gone through with new header , 2.5 in mandrel bend piping with high flow cat and mufflers and a nice crome 3.5 in to 4 in tip. keeping it mild so when i do get on it she has a nice sound to her.