Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   Intake Question (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/intake-question-5000/)

shiznit013 07-21-2005 02:35 AM

Intake Question

I'm a complete noob, so I apologize in advance if this question is stupid. I'm looking for an intake for my 2003 Galant GTZ (3.0L V6). After a couple of hours of searching, I can't find any "approved" intake for my car. The closest I could come up with was the Injen RS1869. Has anyone had any experience with this intake? Did it work out of the box, or need some modifications? Also, what is different about an intake that makes it ideal for mid-range or top end power? For the money, does anyone think the heat shield is worth it?

Thanks.

Prophet 07-21-2005 04:04 AM

RE: Intake Question

If you mean "approved" as in CARB Exempt the only manufacter would be the Injen Shortrams. No one else made a CARB exempt specifit for our cars. Now your on the right track where the 3G Eclipse (2000-2005) share the same engine as the 8G Galant (1999-2003). In your case the engine code is 6G72 for both cars. You might get away with a CHP doing a quick look and you don't get sent to a ref when they see that CARB sticker. But a ref. can look up a CARB number and see that intake was made for the 3G Eclipse and they you will get busted.

Fitment is just fine. Nothing needs to be modified to fit the Galant.

IMO the heat shield is worth it.

shiznit013 07-26-2005 12:08 AM

By approved I meant designed to fit my car. I'm not too concerned about CHiPs in Maryland... although I do hear Erik Estrada gets around. Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering why nobody responded yet, and then I checked my junk mail... apparently Hotmail thinks all distribution lists are SPAM.

Prophet 07-26-2005 12:36 AM

Not a problem...

shiznit013 09-11-2005 01:28 AM

Install was very simple. It took me about an hour. The air filter was hanging so low that it was below the bumper, and I was afraid that I would smack it if I scraped the undercarriage. I put some washers on top of the front-right vibra mount and this raised it up enough to clear it. I also felt that the filter was a bit too exposed to water, so I cut an aluminum plate and screwed it in underneath the filter. It at least has some protection now.

I have noticed a slight performance gain, but the most impressive part was the sound change... very worth it.

sic98galant 01-15-2006 02:03 AM

whats the deal with carb aproved and chp?

DryBear 01-16-2006 03:01 AM

CARB is California Air Resource Board, and basically, any modification to the exhaust system is illegal, unless approved by the CARB, which will issue a certificate and a sticker proving that the part you have installed is legal. In California, if you get pulled over and an officer checks your car then finds your parts are not CARB approved, you will be required to remove the part and be sent to a state ref to verify that your car has been legalized.

www.arb.ca.gov/

DMorrison187 04-29-2006 12:59 PM

I have a 02' Galant and was looking for an Intake, what did you end up getting? What did it make the car sound like?