Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

AM I BEING DUKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Default AM I BEING DUKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98 GALANT I LOVE IT KEEPING HOPE ALIVE LOL
[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

I need some help. I recently got my alternator and the alternator belt replaced.( adifferent times). I gotthe alternator replaced 1ste then was told the belt looked worn and recommended I replace. I replaced the belt about 2 weekes later. After the belt was replaced when I start the car it makes a screeching noise for about 10-15 seconds when its cold about 30-45 sec. I took it back and they said the belt needed to be adjusted they did that spreaded it with something and it was fine for a day. It still makes the noise now it does it when I first turn on the air conditioner or heater (in winter). I took it back today and was told I need a power steering pump.Are the two connected whould needing a power steering pump make the same noise as the belt. I have no problems with my steering or anything. What do you think am I being duked into getting work done I don't need? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN POWER STEERING PUMP IS BAD?[:@]

Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AM I BEING DUKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When p/s pumps are bad they will whine really loud, its not very common that they just stop working all together. Take it to a another shop and seewhere the noise is coming from.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

sounds like your harmonic balancer is falling apart.
very common.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Having only been a Mitsu owner for 5 weeks I suppose I shouldn't comment but...

Does the car have a belt tensioner?

Every car I've owned with a sepantine belt had a belt tensioner... when it went on my Chevy the belt picked up a ton of slack and started squeeling.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM

well first off i wouldnt take it to a shop for just a squeeling belt most mechanics in shops prey on ppl who dont know jack about the mechanics of their vehicles. second a sqeealing belt is very easily fixed and doesnt mean your power steerting pump is out an easy way to figure it out is pop the hood get some STP belt dressing from your auto part store and start the engine and when it sqeals spray a small amount on each pulley when ever it stops then you know that that was the belt that was making the noise so you or sombody you Know ( not a shop Mechanic ) can tighten the belt its not hard if you just observe when the pivot bolts are located and you lossen the bolts that hold the accesory in that position its very easily tightend. a word to the unwise never go to a shop mechanic ignorant they will almost always take you to the bank you should have at least a little knowledge of what the problem is and what it cant be i know sometimes its unavoidable but before you pay for somthing get a second third or even 4th opinion. i hope this info helps out.