Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   new to old engine swap (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/new-old-engine-swap-2059/)

wanaply 09-06-2004 02:18 PM

new to old engine swap

Would A 99 galant 2.4 liter motor be more powerful and stronger then the 2.0 liter in the 91 Galant? I was going to build and boost a 2.4 liter if it would be better then building up and boosting the 2.0 liter, is the 2.4 sohc or dohc? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I found out the 2.4 is an sohc, but would it be posssible to machine a 2.4 block and a 2.0 head of a 1g eclipse and mount a dohc head??

Prophet 09-06-2004 03:45 PM

RE: new to old engine swap

If you are talking about the VR-4 91 then no the 4G64 doesn't even compare to the power that you willl get out of that engine.

Startes the 4G64 is turned 180 degrees. So you couldn't match the head of a DOHC to the 4G64. Now you can match the head off a EVO III to EVO VIII on to the 4G64.

If you want to match a 4G64 block on to a 4G63T head then get a 7G Galant (1994-1998) because that is the only way to do it. You could also get a whole 4G63T engine and put it into the 7G.

As far as the 8G (1999-2003) engine swaps you can either go JDM VR-4 a EVO swap just to start out with. But if you are looking to just boost then stick with the 2.4L 4G64 and get a SDS from RIPP....

http://www.rippmods.com/

Proven performance or you can start building a custom turbo kit. If a turbo kit is what you want we can start discussing that....

wanaply 09-06-2004 04:46 PM

I was looking to do turbo but how much power would the sds add?
Yes This engine build will be for a lot of boost at least 20 psi street 30psi strip. I am going to purchase a 91 or 92 Galant because I like that body style better so what are my options with that platform?

Prophet 09-07-2004 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: wanaply

I was looking to do turbo but how much power would the sds add?
Yes This engine build will be for a lot of boost at least 20 psi street 30psi strip. I am going to purchase a 91 or 92 Galant because I like that body style better so what are my options with that platform?
Well if you compare the two your actually going to get more power out of a turbo in the long run. Here are my opinions about the two...

1. A SDS is only limited to the pulleys that you attach. A turbo has the potential with proper tuning and proper build up for boosting alot more. If you goal is 20psi and 30psi the a turbo set up is where I would go. Keep in mind though that a 20psi on a 2.4L compare to a 2.0L is a huge difference. The 4G64 can handle up to a one bar for strip as far as I know and have read.

2. Don't go turbo unless you want to deal with a whole lot of problems. The things about turbo is you need to tune alot. Expecially if you want to boost 20psi everyday. A SDS is alot more reliable compared to a turbo. Not a whole lot of moving parts. Compare the two and the SDS is truly a bolt on performance package.

3. Now the RIPP SDS is a great supercharge. You will find 3G Eclipses that have the same engine as we do running in the 12's now with that system. On a Galant where finding out though that you don't want to go above there Stage one setup. There still working on it because of our ECU and something about the menthonol injectors not working.

Now as far as the 6G Galant VR-4. That is a true sleeper and one not even alot of die hard DSM tuners know about. But I am late for work and I will answer that when I get back....

wanaply 09-07-2004 08:49 PM

Yea, well Im willing to sacrifice the ease of a supercharger with the tuning of a turbo. I was hoping to spray maybe a 100 - 150 shot if the engine was strong enough. What about the 8g as a platform? With the evo head swap and a nice big turbo?

Prophet 09-08-2004 02:57 AM

The 8G can take Nitrous but no more then a 75shot on stock internals but you can do more but upgrade the internals.

Why don't we do this....

What Galant do you have or hope to get then we can go from there.

wanaply 09-08-2004 11:42 AM

Well I was looking at a few 8gs the other day and I like that platform better, so Ill be sticking with the 8g, but I will probably pick up a 6g later on for a good project car. Well I wasn't plannin on keeping the internals stock, I want to upgrade everything possibly pistons, rods, crank, cams, etc... What are some good sites for aftermarket parts for the 8g?

Prophet 09-08-2004 01:20 PM

What are some good sites for aftermarket parts for the 8g?
lol mine...

www.dnaracing.net

and when you are ready for the performance parts I can tell you who makes what and best place to get it at. I hate to do this but also check out....

www.galantforums.com
www.thegalantcetner.net
www.dsmrevolution.com

...for more information. Good luck on the rebuild and when you need anything just let me know. Don't forget to still visit this site.

wanaply 09-08-2004 09:16 PM

Where could I get good pistons, rods and crank and will the evo twin cam head fit on the 6 cylinder 8g Galant? if so where could I go to build a nice head? If not will the dohc head from a 2000 diamante 6g74 work? the Dohc head off a 3000gt vr4 6g72? Will the block need to be reinforced in anyway to hold a 60 trim turbo and a 150 shot of nitrous? Could I use a super trapp muffler or would that not be needed? I have lots more questions but Ill start from there. Thanks.

-Nick

Prophet 09-10-2004 02:17 AM

Where could I get good pistons, rods and crank and will the evo twin cam head fit on the 6 cylinder 8g Galant? if so where could I go to build a nice head? If not will the dohc head from a 2000 diamante 6g74 work? the Dohc head off a 3000gt vr4 6g72? Will the block need to be reinforced in anyway to hold a 60 trim turbo and a 150 shot of nitrous? Could I use a super trapp muffler or would that not be needed? I have lots more questions but Ill start from there. Thanks.
-Nick
Your going to want to mate a 4G64 block on to a EVO head. If you get a V6 8G then you will might be able to mate a Diamante head onto the 6G72 block from that 8G.

Now I strongly suggest that you join www.galantforums.com and ask for VTEC Killer about this. He is the one actually doing the EVO swap into a 8G and can help you alot more than I can. I base my info not on my own knowledge but what I read and from fellow trusted tuners.

Here are some pictures of his car....
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/668691