Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

PO763 Shift Solonoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Default PO763 Shift Solonoid

any advise on this code .
I am getting it on a 2009 Galant .I can erase it and it instantly comes back when the car is cranked.The ECM was just replaced because of a front end collosion and I have two small wires that are cut in the chassis harness in the area of the left fog light.I cannot determine where these wires go due to lack of a wiring schematic.AllData does not have them for a 2009 model and the local dealers will not help.Please come to my rescue

Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Its under warranty, take it to a mitsu dealer.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM

reference all data for 2008 model. it should be close

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Default Po763

Im on my own with this one because the car was declared salvage.The dealer wont even look at it as far as warranty goes.I am wondering how close the wiring schematics for the 2008 models are to the 2009.any info on what might be causing this code is greatly appreciated

Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Its should be the same as an 08 like mitsupartsman said. I would suspect a bad shift solenoid, how its service is I have no idea.

Edt: You have the cvt right?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM

yes CVT,
I found out last night that the shift solonoid is located inside the transmission pan.After speaking to the body guy that repaired the car ,he mentioned that during the repairing process that he had noticed a slight deformation of the transmission pan.
In light of that it leads me to believe that the shift solonoid may have been damaged in the collosion.
One of the internet mechanics that charge a fee for their expertise also stated that he had seen this code before and usually traced the fault back to a dirty connector on the transmission harness.
Their is little or no information on the 2009 Galant and ALLDATA doesn't even have the information yet.SOO I don't have any information on wire colors or numbers that might go to the transmission harness.
I thought that MANYBREWS might chime in with a little help here.
Thanks guys for the replys and I,m still playing with this.I don't want to pay a dealer $150.00 for something simple but it looks as if I might have to eventually.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM

I dont have the schematics here at home. They're all at work.

chances are the 08 is identical, though.

it will be a VERY simple test. The PCM controls the trans and engine, so you dont have a lot of wiring to trace. If you can locate the correct pins, a simple resistance test should show you if the problem is in the trans, wiring, or PCM.

incidently, I AM right about being able to re-write the VINs on used PCMs. Just FYI.

also, you DONT have a CVT trans. You have a normal 4 speed auto transmission. very simple, very rugged unit.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

All data shows only a cvt in 08, I didnt see any info abt a 4 speed auto?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
All data shows only a cvt in 08, I didnt see any info abt a 4 speed auto?
the only mitsu cars in north america with a CVT are the lancer and 4 cylinder outlander.

everything else has either 4 or 5 speed auto (with the exception of the evo). of course, a few manuals are available in select models, too.. but the galant has only a 4 speed auto with the 4 cylinder, a 4 speed auto with the standard v6, and a 5 speed auto with the MIVEC v6

Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Manybrews is right,I don;t have the CVT transmission.Until today I didn;t know what a CVT was.These are fine automobiles but information on them is very scarce and tightly held by the individuals and dealers that know them well.
As for the ECM,I know that Manybrews is right but I could not find anyone in North Carolina that could verify that the ECM could be rewritten although common sense dictates it.
Anyway,anyone that can offer some help with PO763 I am waiting Patiently as Barry White says in his song.
This car is almost finished and will be as soon as I can clear this code.
Thanks for all the help,You folks are GREAT!!!

Quick Reply: PO763 Shift Solonoid